Aggressive ADF and a Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Angeltold

Reaction score
Hi! I have a couple dwarf frogs that I probably didnt pay enough attention to, because theyre actually VERY aggressive.
I did research on Aggressive ADF and read that they arenā€™t. After witnessing it almost clamp a new ADF that iā€™d got, to death, i removed it before anymore accidents happened. Then i found out its Sister was just as aggressive!
So heres my story, i took them out of the 20g, concerned they might eat the tiny sand, and put them in the 10g with my other 2 new frogs, a betta, 2 shrimp, and a couple snails. I witnessed the big guy tug my baby frogs foot, hard. And thats when i did the research, and read, that ADF arent aggressive.
So i let it go a little bit longer and witnessed him clamp my other, larger, new ADF In the stomach, my ADF just sat there in shock. So i didnt know what to do ā€¦ i waited waited waited all night, eventually 4 am rolled around, i got up, washed my hands, reached my hand in, grabbed him out, and set him right into the 20 gallon. Which had 6 shrimp in it, and in just a couple days later i found a shrimp dead! So i caught them all and acclimated them to the 10 gallon to not risk anymore of their lives.
So now, added 5 shrimp to the 10 gallon tank, it now has 7 shrimp.
Then i saw the aggressive adfā€™s sister snapping at the shrimp!! I was like :0!! Scared for my shrimps life i took her out and acclimated her in the 20 gallon and put her back in that tank with the brother.
They live with 5 corys, 5 black-neon tetra, one snail, and a beautiful black betta fish.
But just now i was looking at my betta, and i noticed he had a couple curled fins that he didnt have that long ago.
I know he likes to lay at the bottom of the tank, so im concerned that maybe the frog could be nipping at him? I didnt see any rot around the fins. All my other fish look fine.
Sometimes i have to clean out the tank in some emergencies like, thinking i needed to rehome the frogs, or rehoming the shrimp, but the water usually clears up real fast after ward and my fish have stayed Consistently healthy.
Should i worry about the ADF? I want to just let them stay there.
Do betta fish ever have fins curl as they age? Is it normal?
My other betta is a rescue and his fins have curled, so i cant compare the two.
Thanks for any advice in advance! Iā€™m hesitant to get any more frogs unless i really really find a cool one. Lol! ā˜ŗļø

Hi! I have a couple dwarf frogs that I probably didnt pay enough attention to, because theyre actually VERY aggressive.
I did research on Aggressive ADF and read that they arenā€™t. After witnessing it almost clamp a new ADF that iā€™d got, to death, i removed it before anymore accidents happened. Then i found out its Sister was just as aggressive!
So heres my story, i took them out of the 20g, concerned they might eat the tiny sand, and put them in the 10g with my other 2 new frogs, a betta, 2 shrimp, and a couple snails. I witnessed the big guy tug my baby frogs foot, hard. And thats when i did the research, and read, that ADF arent aggressive.
So i let it go a little bit longer and witnessed him clamp my other, larger, new ADF In the stomach, my ADF just sat there in shock. So i didnt know what to do ā€¦ i waited waited waited all night, eventually 4 am rolled around, i got up, washed my hands, reached my hand in, grabbed him out, and set him right into the 20 gallon. Which had 6 shrimp in it, and in just a couple days later i found a shrimp dead! So i caught them all and acclimated them to the 10 gallon to not risk anymore of their lives.
So now, added 5 shrimp to the 10 gallon tank, it now has 7 shrimp.
Then i saw the aggressive adfā€™s sister snapping at the shrimp!! I was like :0!! Scared for my shrimps life i took her out and acclimated her in the 20 gallon and put her back in that tank with the brother.
They live with 5 corys, 5 black-neon tetra, one snail, and a beautiful black betta fish.
But just now i was looking at my betta, and i noticed he had a couple curled fins that he didnt have that long ago.
I know he likes to lay at the bottom of the tank, so im concerned that maybe the frog could be nipping at him? I didnt see any rot around the fins. All my other fish look fine.
Sometimes i have to clean out the tank in some emergencies like, thinking i needed to rehome the frogs, or rehoming the shrimp, but the water usually clears up real fast after ward and my fish have stayed Consistently healthy.
Should i worry about the ADF? I want to just let them stay there.
Do betta fish ever have fins curl as they age? Is it normal?
My other betta is a rescue and his fins have curled, so i cant compare the two.
Thanks for any advice in advance! Iā€™m hesitant to get any more frogs unless i really really find a cool one. Lol! ā˜ŗļø
I keep two ADF with only a mystery snail in a 5 g tank. No other residents in tank. I keep my betta in his own tank with only a mystery snail. White cloud minnows and Celestial Pearl Danios share a 10 g tank. No bullying in all three tanks. I would keep those frogs in a separate space.

Thatā€™s a good idea. I just need a 5 gallon tank my sisters has a cool one

Yes, a frog can grab and clamp onto a bettas tail - our very own @Essjay saw that happen to a betta by an ADF in her own tank, which is one reason she talks about not mixing frogs with bettas!

Frogs in their own enclosures, not in with fish. For the sake of both species!

Another thing concerns me.. you said the aggressive ADF was in a tank with a new frog, then when you panicked about aggression, you moved him from tank to tank? That's an easy way to spread disease. Many fish meds are toxic to frogs, so another reason to keep them apart.

But new fish and aquatic animals meant for your tanks should be quarantined for 2-4 weeks before getting any contact at all with your main tanks. If the new frogs are a recent purchase, then by moving the aggressive ADF into the tank with new frogs, you broke quarantine. If the new frogs had been carrying any kind of disease or parasite, then Aggressive Adf (AA) has now been exposed to anything the new ones had, then carried into every tank you moved him to.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back