African Water Frogs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shuifish

Reaction score
Sorry if I got the name wrong. I cant remember what they were called...
I was thinking about adding maybe a few to my bettas tank. I dont know anything about these little guys. I have seen them in petstores and have always wanted to get a few.
I need to know what living conditions they need...if they need a plant of some sort...how many can do well in a one gallon fish bowl with a betta...what food they eat...ect. Some good links would be grealty appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry if I got the name wrong. I cant remember what they were called...
I was thinking about adding maybe a few to my bettas tank. I dont know anything about these little guys. I have seen them in petstores and have always wanted to get a few.
I need to know what living conditions they need...if they need a plant of some sort...how many can do well in a one gallon fish bowl with a betta...what food they eat...ect. Some good links would be grealty appreciated. Thanks!

There is a pinned thread in the invert section about these frogs... Basicly there are two types, one that grows big and eats fish and one that stays small and is mostly harmless. The most obvious difference between the two is their feet. The big one (clawed frog)has claws on its front legs, the small one (dwarf frog) has webbing between its toes.

I think 1 Gal is too small for one of these guys to live with a betta, it would be quite cosy in there. If you got a tank about 5 gals+ you could easily keep 2 or 3 dwarf frogs with a betta.

There are loads more than two types, I keep 7 species of them, including a subspecies. I agree though, Xenopus laevis and Hymenochirus boettgeri are the ones almost always seen for sale in shops.

They eat live and frozen foods like bloodworm, tubifex worm, and also sinking pellets and small earthworms.

Ok....I think the right name is African dwarf frogs. I did a search and found some stuff on them. I really am thinking of getting a larger tank once I accumilate enough money. My father agreed to let me have a fish and was stubborn with the idea of getting a new tank since we have a small one already. I worry about the size but it isnt too bad. A ton bigger then its mini bowl at the petstore.
After a few months I will try and talk him into it...maybe a few days. I know that I will get some of those cool little frogs though. I have never seen anything like them before!

I have had very good experience placing the African dwarf frogs with a single male betta. They have been together in a 2.5 gallon tank with filter and weekly water changes for about 6 months. :good:

So far the only issue is that on a rare occassion when I am feeding the frogs their black worms, they mistake the crowntail of the betta for a worm. Cinderellla (yes it's Cinderella - I have a young daughter) DOES NOT LIKE IT. But I have only seen it 2 times and he seems to recover fine.

Thanks boboboy :D It's still not a complete guide as I haven't managed to raise any tadpoles past a few weeks, I'm hoping to document that process as much as possible seeing as how difficult it is.

it may be worth looking at transferring the spawn, to a separate unfiltered tank. from what i gather, virtually no water flow is best. and there should be no need for anti fungal treatments as with fish eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back