African Knife Minimum Tank Size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hunterprey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was just wondering whats the minimum tank size for an African knife Fish. Also what is the smallest fish that can I keep with them? I heard people keeping them with fish as small as guppies and Neons successfully. They seem to have a pretty small mouth and not really aggressive. I was wondering if a Betta will be big enough and safe to house with the knifefish.

I purchased the 5" AFK for my big tank but my Black Diamond Cichlid and Clown Barbs just swarmed the new Knife Fish n relentlessly attacking after introduction. Now the knife fish is in my 20gallon grow out tank with my Delhezi. I like the knife fish, even feeds from my hands, so I was wondering if there other options I can do instead of returning him to my LFS. Thanks in advance.

Well first off sorry this question wasnt answered 4 years ago :/ just like to add that they are cool fish but are indeed endangered in the wild so not buying anymore of these guys is the best for them! Now if you still have him/her ill say what i know.

A 55 gallon would be best or bigger would be better, from what i have observed and researched they are docile and timid with small mouths, so you could try it with small species. I wouldnt really put a betta with any odd ball species, IMO they arent the best in large tanks because of the flow.

Thanks for the response... after 4 years. U know its better late than never  
yes.gif

I put my AKF in my 6ft but got chased around by my Clown Barbs & Polleni so I ended up returning him.
I might get one again in the future or maybe not since u said theyre endangered.

Np, and in all fairness i joined 2 years ago :p

I mean its your choice in the end to do what you want with your money, but not buying one means they dont have to order more and the wild population was saved one less fish from being taken you know. They are endangered because they arent easily bred and their natural environment is in danger from pollution and over filtering.

Fair enough
laugh.png

There are other fish I like anyway so might forget about the AKF. Might get some Delhezis again. Although been meaning to ask.
Full grown Red Tail |Shark should be safe from a full grown Delhezi? I've kept them together before but my Delhezi never reached its full size before I quit fishkeeping 2 years ago.

Yea dels are nice, senegalus have the most personality. A full grown del and a full grown Red tail should be fine, if the shark is small enough to fit into the dels mouth it will be eaten or chewed on until it dies. It will catch it, bichirs nip at anything to see if it might be food so make sure the shark is very bulky. I have 7" teugelsi bichirs with 3.5" geophagus winemilleri and their just fine. Well actually theres a 9" weeksii in there too but i guess hes not interested in them haha, with his huge mouth he could eat them if he wanted.

Thanks. I like my RedTailShark too. If the Delhezi gets too big might just add him to my lone Jewel Cichlid tank.
Just hope my Jewel doesn't beat him up.

I had an Albino Senegal before Theyre lovely fish.

Yea i dont really like the albinos i havent had much luck with them and their line bred so their genes are very bad so their prone to random illness.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back