african frogs i want to get one but....

NO! do get one and put it with fish i have a african clawed frog and as soon as it got big it killed all my fish in one night :-( they eat tetra reptomin and bloodworm anything like tthat

get an african dwarf frog, they stay small, are friendly, and eat flake food. Fun to watch, too! :D

Dirty 332

African Clawed Frogs are great pets. There are two kinds: regular and Dwarf. The Dwarf African Clawed frogs are only about an inch or so long (body) and 2 can live comfortably in a one gal. jar. They require very little care and eat blackworms or a prepared food called "Frog Bites."

The regular sized African Clawed Frogs are larger. They, too, are easy to keep and 2 will live comfortably in a 10 gal tank or with fish in a larger tank. The thing to remember about them, though, is that they will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths. This includes other African Clawed Frogs. I keep 2 of mine in a 55 gal. tank with some good sized goldfish and they seem to do ok. They will also eat bits of cooked shrimp, slivered pieces of raw steak, feeder guppies and of course there are pelets made just for them.

You are making a commitment here--they can live for 20 years or more.

Holy cow! 20 years!? na ah! Even the Dwarf ones?? ( I want some too, what will gouramis, congo tetras, rainbows and a rubber eel do with them?)

I wouldn't put my African Dwarf Frogs in with those fish because they are so small and have delicate little arms and legs. I would just worry too much. But two of them live happily, by themselves, in just a gallon of water.

I see you are a student, CraZ4fiSHieS. These little fellers are an ideal pet for a student who lives in a dorm because they are so easy to transport back home during breaks and because they are such excellent conversation starters. Everyone who sees them loves them! You can't help but smile when you look at them. :lol:

One word of warning, though....... Like all frogs they are jumpers; be sure to keep them covered so they don't jump out.

If you are going to get a Dwarf frog make sure it is a dwarf, i nearly bought one last week (an albino) from a LFS but decided agaist it and went home to do some research on them it turns out you cant get an albino dwarf frog only the normal african clawed frog is albino, which in turn would have decimated my peaceful commuinty tank when it grew big enough :eek: .

So if it is a dwarf you are after becareful and make sure you get the right one!!

Heh. I posted about my african dwarf frog before but I'll do it under this relevant post. I had a weird one I think. I put a fancy goldfish in with him and he did nothing but attack the poor fish. We had to take the fish out and buy him a totally new tank. I then transfered my frog to a ten gallon tank. Pretty big place for one little dwarf frog, hm? Well... I got him a little playmate. Cedric was kind of big for a dwarf frog, so I found him the biggest one I could get at the lfs. Well, Cedric immediately attacked the new frog and crippled him before I could even scoop the frog out. The other frog died soon thereafter. A few days later Cedric also died. Sigh. He was probably just a weird frog. I always get the weird animals. A guinea pig that sleeps flat on it's side and doesn't like most treats, though she loves tomatoes. Anyway, that's my awful story.

Laurie.

i saw loads of these dwaf frogs in my lfs and thought about getting a few

they seem be realy funy and not shy is this right ? would they need anywhere out water ?,,plants logs

how many could i have in 48 gallon tank ..4ft

wanted 4

loachylover said:
If you are going to get a Dwarf frog make sure it is a dwarf,
It's easy to make a mistake and buy the wrong one. Sometimes they are mislabeled and small African Clawed Frogs are sold as Dwarfs. They have different body shapes but if you are not experienced it might be hard to tell by this aspect unless you can compare the two.

One easy way to tell the difference is to look at their hands (paws?). The larger African Clawed Frogs have pointy fingers, each clearly separate. The Dwarf Frogs have webbing between them.

Both kinds live their lives entirely underwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back