African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So tropical fish have been my hobby since I was only 12, 3 years ago and I have always tried to get my sister involved who is a year younger. Finally she came to me today and said she likes African Dwarf Frogs and is prepared to let me show her how to set up her tank and go through the process so she can keep 2-3 frogs. Obviously, I am now very excited and can’t wait to help her create a fantastic tank!

She has limited space so I suggested getting a 5 gallon tank with maximum surface area and buy 2-3 frogs. I have no experience with these frogs but I know how to care for them and what their diet consists of, so does anyone have any tips?

They like to be in groups, they are very social and when in smaller numbers will be more shy. They dont require a heater room temp is fine. Use a soft substrate like sand as its easier on their bodies and food sits on top of sand instead of getting lost in crevices. They hunt food by smell as they have horrible eye sight. They do better with frozen blood worms or shrimp than they do with pellets as the pellets can cause bloat, just make sure you thaw out and soak food before adding to tank. They are light sensitive so provide lots of hiding places and or floating plants. In a 5 gallon id get 4 or 5 instead of just 2 like i said they prefer large groups and dont create much waste as long as you clean up uneaten food. Good luck if you could swing bigger than a 5 gallon theyd be thrilled. I kept 5 to 6 in a 10 gallon also they do better without other fish

They like to be in groups, they are very social and when in smaller numbers will be more shy. They dont require a heater room temp is fine. Use a soft substrate like sand as its easier on their bodies and food sits on top of sand instead of getting lost in crevices. They hunt food by smell as they have horrible eye sight. They do better with frozen blood worms or shrimp than they do with pellets as the pellets can cause bloat, just make sure you thaw out and soak food before adding to tank. They are light sensitive so provide lots of hiding places and or floating plants. In a 5 gallon id get 4 or 5 instead of just 2 like i said they prefer large groups and dont create much waste as long as you clean up uneaten food. Good luck if you could swing bigger than a 5 gallon theyd be thrilled. I kept 5 to 6 in a 10 gallon also they do better without other fish
Dwarf frogs do need a heater. They can survive without one but will be most happy and healthy and active with a temp of at least 75f

Of you Keep tropical fish or amphibians in cold water and they will survive as long as it takes for them to die because they cant physically digest their food properly or take any nutrients from it.

Im going to take back what i said about the heater. Juicebox is correct. Frogs should have a heater. I just get tired of telling people they shouldnt get a certain fish because they dont have everything to take care of it and can cut corners. If one cant provide everything an animal needs to thrive then one shouldnt have that pet. Frogs need atleast 4 or 5 in a group and that many need at minimum 10 gallons and thevwater needs to be no lower than 75 degrees this will keep them safe. Good lookin out juice box.!

Dwarf frogs do need a heater. They can survive without one but will be most happy and healthy and active with a temp of at least 75f
They definitely need a heater they will stop eating if temp drop under 70. They are tropical frogs.
Also make sure you have LOTS of hiding spaces for these guys. It’s super important they are mostly blind and feel more comfortable with more options. Try stones, wood, plants, or decorative houses.

Feeding them with tongs will help tremendously with their health and bloat. I like to have a variety of different frozen live foods. I buy all of these at local pet stores, I usually feed them mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, blood worms, and beef heart. Regarding other tank mates I would only do a apple snail or mystery snail for algae management.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back