African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

colin_finlay

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up some African Dwarf Frogs from the fish store, and I must say they are great! they sit at the corner of my tank for about 5minutes, then they build up their energy and swim gracefully around my tank! (Running into other fish, and giving them a :blink: look on their face!) they like to float in my oxygen stream in my tank. The lady at the pet store said they barley eat anything too! I was just wondering if anyone had some good stories on these guys, or tips or pointers on them too!?

OoOoOo I'm gonna hafta majorly disagree with the pet store lady who said they barely eat anything. :sly: That's very untrue. They need just as much food as any other pet, and won't get enough with just leftovers. They love live food, but will take frozen foods such as bloodworms, etc. You need to make sure they get plenty of food or they will slowly starve to death - I've seen it happen. :sad:

They seem to just like regular flake food, they don't pig out much, but a few flakes at feeding time, sure are enjoyable animals to watch!

juliethegr8t said:
OoOoOo I'm gonna hafta majorly disagree with the pet store lady who said they barely eat anything. :sly: That's very untrue. They need just as much food as any other pet, and won't get enough with just leftovers. They love live food, but will take frozen foods such as bloodworms, etc. You need to make sure they get plenty of food or they will slowly starve to death - I've seen it happen. :sad:
thats what happened to my frog.......
i use to feed him seperately, but later i just though he would do fine searching on his own. a week later he was dead. and i am almost 100% sure it was because i didnt feed him seperately.

i was gonna get more, but its very difficult for me to feed him pellets, because by the time they sink, the fish are all over them and the frog doesnt get any....

i would like to get a frog if anyone had an idea how to feed him....?

what kind of food did you feed him? i havent tried pellets but it does seem like a good idea because most of my fish are top feeders.....I just use flakes and they swim to the top to get them

put more thank one wafer in, or do like i have to do with my crab, break one up into quarters... and add one in whole... if i did it any other way my cories wouldnt get owt to eat because my crabs all over it before it hits bottom...

Colin, ADF's require a varied diet. They love frozen bloodworms and the way to feed them is to use a turkey baster and squirt the worms in front of them as they do not have good sight. Another good food for them is HBH frog and tadpole bites.

There is more info about these little guys in the amphibian forum.

even tho they dont have good sight, they have a great sence of taste... they can normaly find food... and dont like sharing.... when i had mine one of my swords was playin with its food (spittin out suckin in ect) my frog came along just as my sword was spittin it out and ate it... sword wasnt to happy in havin its game stopped :lol:

I have got four frogs, two in each tank and I just think they are great. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and whilst their sight is poor they certainly smell them!!

I used to give my fish frozen bloodworms once or twice a week as a treat but now they get some every day to make sure the froggies get their dinner.

Hi colin_finlay :)

The first thing I always ask when someone mentions that they have ADFs is, "Are you sure that they are not African Clawed Frogs?"

All too often these bigger frogs are sold by lfs as the ADFs, when they are still small. While both are great pets, they do have different needs and requirements.

Please click on the link in my signature for more information about them. :D

If yours are ADFs, they will have webbing between the fingers of their "hands." Do they have this, or pointy little fingers?

I have my ADF's in their own tank and they love Natures Delica Bloodworms by Tetra. I used to feed them frozen bloodworms and the bloodworms would drift all over the tank and the frogs couldn't find half of them. With Natures Delica you get like 10 little packets in a box and it squeezes out like toothpaste so it is easy for the frogs to find. The gel the bloodworms are in is enriched with vitamins so it is a more balanced diet for them.

I have my ADF's in their own tank and they love Natures Delica Bloodworms by Tetra.

I buy that stuff too,it's great stuff. My ACF knows that when he sees the orange packet it's time for a treat and all i have to do is put the corner of the packet into the water and he'll try to yank it out of my hand. :lol: He's a hoot. :D

Inchworm said:
If yours are ADFs, they will have webbing between the fingers of their "hands." Do they have this, or pointy little fingers?
Thanks for your responses!
Yeah before i went and bought the frogs I read a few threads here on this site and that was the biggest thing people said about the frogs "make sure their front hands are webbed" I actually brought my swiss army knife to the fish store and checked out if they were webbed!

I suggest that everyone takes a look into african dwarf frogs! they are great to go along with fish and quite enjoyable to watch! but before you buy them, read some threads on this site first, its a great source for information :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back