African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i have not got any frogs but i was just wondering, say i went on holiday for 2 weeks, would it be possible to place one of those feeding blocks that lasts to weeks for them to eat or would that be a no no?

just wondering, thanks for your time

i have not got any frogs but i was just wondering, say i went on holiday for 2 weeks, would it be possible to place one of those feeding blocks that lasts to weeks for them to eat or would that be a no no?

just wondering, thanks for your time

I would not recommend it - feeding blocks are primarily cement and not good at all for your tank, secondly - those blocks are designed for fish! your frog can NOT survive on a diet for fish - fish flakes, etc are very very poor nutrionally for frogs.

if you have a trip planned, I would recommend not getting your frogs until you come home.

otherwise, surely you must have a friend who could stop by every couple of days and defrost a cube of bloodworms for you?

Hey! I just got an African Dwarf Frog. He is in the same tank as my Betta. So far so good, they are getting along. They are in a 1.5 gallon, but I ordered a 5 gallon (it's in the mail). Is the frog still going to be lonely with the Betta? Should I get a second frog? I have a filter at the moment, and I just did my first 75% water change 3 days after getting my Betta. I guess I am doing what is called cycling? I'm still learning, but I will change the water frequently as I don't want the ammonia and nitrite stuff to kill them!
My frog seems to like the heater..he is right next to it. The water is at 78 degrees.

I would not add anything to that tank until you are able to upgrade to atleast the 5 gallon - - a 1.5 gallon is too small for a betta, it is fine for 1 african dwarf frog however. for the 5 gallon, you can keep the adf by himself or get him a companion...doesn't matter much either way.

what food did you get for the frog? he can not eat betta food.
also are you positive he is a dwarf? young african dwarf frogs and young african clawed frogs look very very similar to the untrained and inexperienced eye but they are vastly different....an aCf will quickly outgrow the 5 gallon and end up eating your betta, while an aDf stays quite small.

aDf have webbing on all four feet and their eyes are flush on the sides of their face....they are also NEVER albino.
aCf have webbing only on their hind feet and their eyes are perched ontop of their face ... they can come in albino.

Here are pictures of my frog: It looks like a Dwarf Frog to me, but I don't know much about Clawed frogs.
I got Whole Bloodworms in Nutrient Rich Gel. I was also going to offer the freeze dried bloodworms (for the Betta) to the frog. What other freeze dried stuff can they eat? The shrimpies? They seemed kinda big.
Kermit.jpg

KirmiziandKermit.jpg

he is an aDf so no worries there - - and as for freeze dried foods....try and make them a rare treat rather than a main component of the diet of any creature because they will cause constipation and are not as healthy as frozen foods....bloodworms are a fine choice for the frog.

So, I put some of the gel food in front of his mouth and the freeze dried worm in front of his mouth, but I haven't seen him eat. I do this while he is up for air, grasping his floaty log. He goes over to latch onto the heater a lot. Is he cold? The water stays at 80 degrees! And the thing about Bettas snatching their food, hahaha yeah that's so true..I was holding a bloodworm in front of the ADF face the other day waiting for him to eat it, but the Betta swam up and grabbed it out of my fingers. They get along really well though, no bullying, they just mind their own business.

Kermit3.jpg
Kermit4.jpg

Kermit5.jpg
Kermit6.jpg

I have had an african dwarf frog for about 3 weeks now and am really starting to worry about him.

the day i got him he broke his hind leg in the filter, to avoid this happening again i moved him to my smaller tank and other than him not using his leg all seemed fine.

since i have had him he has been very lethargic not doing anything except sitting on top of the ornament or floating at the top of the tank but i assumed this was due to his leg. i have been feeding him (and the rest of the tank) frozen blood worm every 2-3 days but have never seen him eat a thing.

a few days ago i noticed he had an open wound on his broken leg, and today i noticed there is a yellowy green puss growing over it but am unsure if it is the wound healing or if it is the start of a fungle infection?

i am really concerned and dont know what to do, any help would be great so thanks in advance

Fantastic posting! I appreciate the info. I got 2 ADFs about a month ago. I only seem to ever see one of them. I have not found the other one outside the tank (I don't know how he would get out), in the filter, floating in the top of a cave or anything. Do you think he is hibernating?

If I got say 2-3 of these, would I just be able to feed frozen bloodworm as their normal food and get live brine shrimp and other live food as a treat? Also if I could just feed frozen bloodworm, would I just be able to do what I do with my axolotl(put it in and let them find it)?
I know that my LFS has quite a lot in so I will set up and cycle a tank just for them. They aren't very popular but it's the first time they have had them in. I might never see them in there again...
It's a shame my 15 gallon tank has a water height of 14" :( I would get some this weekend if it wasn't that deep. Plus the filter is fast because my fish like it that way.

Alessa x.

I am a new member to this site and I am hoping I can find the help that I need.

Approximately three weeks ago now I bought two African Dwarf Frogs from a store called Green Earth, and up until now they have been doing fine. Everything I have been reading has indicated to me that the "ready to go" habitat in which the frogs were sold in is extremely too small for these guys to live happily in and perhaps that plays a role in my main issue. One of my frogs has recently been showing what I think is strange behaviour...he seems to be having trouble swimming to the surface to get air, he does not have a far swim (maybe a couple inches to the surface) but it seems as though his body is very lethargic. I have even tried pushing him to the surface with the end of a pen for support underneath him but this hasn't changed his behaviour. He sometimes lays on the bottom of the tank upside down, his body will roll or flip upsidedown unwillingly and he will stay there for quite some time before he eventually finds the strength to turn over. He is moving slower than the other frog and tries to get to the top of the tank more frequently than the healthier one. Also he no longer moves out of the way when the other frog goes spastic and bumps into him, instead he just allows himself to be bumped around. The pamphlet that came with the frogs said to change the tank's water every three months! And to only use natural bottled spring water...however I noticed what looks like white dust particles floating in the water, I couldn't tell if they were bugs or what but they did move when the water was still...so I decided to empty 50% of the water and add tap water that I treated with water conditioner that I use for my betta. Currently I do not see the particles anymore, but my frog is still remaining very still and when he does try to get to the surface often times he cannot, and he is still flipping upsidedown every now and then. His body is still the same size and I can't notice anything different in his appearance...I really don't want him to die and so I'm hoping someone can provide some information or advice on what I should do! I have some pictures of him laying around etc. but I don't know how to post them yet! Please help!

Thanks!
Brittany

I have a few questions if there's anyone that can answer them.

My husband & I set up our 100 gallon tank & have been slowly adding a few fish to it. Last week we bought 2 ADF's. We told the people in the fish store the size of the tank & what fish we already had to make sure we weren't looking at any compatibility or other problems.

I was reading recently that deep tanks may not be the best idea for the frogs since they're not good swimmers & may have a hard time getting to the surface. We have seen ours surface a few times whenever they decide to come out of hiding. We have about a 2 inch gap at the top of the tank to make sure they don't get out but any other problems with tank size?

We do also have a filter set up & we have been wondering if we have too much flow on one side of the tank anyway since the majority of the fish tend to hang out on the intake side versus the output side. Should we be turning the output jets towards the wall? We also have a bubble wall in the center back part of the tank & a small bubbling treasure chest in the center front.

Our fish so far are what I think are 4 Congo Tetras, 1 neon tetra (plan to get more), 2 glowlite tetras (plan to get more), 2 harlequin rasboras (plan to get more), 5 glass fish & 2 plecs. We're mainly planning to add some different tetras to the tank I think & definitely do not plan on getting anything that can be even slightly aggressive.

The main issue we're having is we're wondering if the frogs are getting food or enough food. We have flakes for the fish that we put in but we also got freeze dried bloodworms. The problem is that they just seem to float & the fish eat them as well. We also bought frozen ones & have tried those but we can't seem to get them to the bottom of the tank. They told us at the fish store to use this tube they sell there & drop the food down it onto a plate. We tried that after thawing out the frozen bloodworms but the tube isn't long enough so as soon as it went under the water the worms all floated out the top. I read somewhere about someone that modified an aquatic snail bait trap & dropped that into the tank for the frogs to enter & eat. I've been trying to find one but seems that specific one/style is only sound in UK or Europe. I tried to buy one today but it looks like they don't even ship to the US. The turkey baster is a decent idea but I'm not sure how long of one we can find. We have 2 castles in the tank & the frogs mainly spend their time in there so we could stick the baster into each & squirt some worms in I guess as long as we don't mind getting wet :)

But does anyone else have any advice or other suggestions? If I would have realized how difficult this might be to make sure they got food we might not have gotten any for this tank even though I love them. When I was a teenager I had a 10 gallon with a few frogs & fish.

Ok thanks for any responses.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back