African Dwarf Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kevin_D

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I picked up on this before in another thread, after reading a post on another forum (specifically for Pipid's) but has anyone else noticed how fragile African Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus sp) can be?

Ive bought four of them this year already, and despite my best efforts, and keeping them in species specific tanks, they have all died, even the larger ones that I thought would have a much better chance. I also keep several other species of Pipid's (X. laevis albino, X.l poweri, X. muelleri and two Silurana species, all of which are doing great, and growing well, my four X. laevis albino are all adults, and have spawned in the past) I'll be getting more species very soon as well, I'd also really like to keep more Hymenochirus, but arent sure if buying anymore would be worth it? do any members on here breed them? as I would think captive raised ones by fishkeepers would be in a much better condition than the farmed ones on Asian fish farms?. Whenever they have them in stock in my lfs, they are very small, and under nourished, is this the same throughout the UK (and other countries?)

thanks

anyone have any experiences of ADF's being particulary weak and sensitive? or notice any in their lfs? I dont think my lfs is the only place stocking unhealthy Frogs.

I have never had any problems with keeping African Dwarf frogs. I have found mine to be quite hardy. However you need to make sure they get food. I have read about a lot of people having problems making sure they are receiving food. Just be sure their water is clean and filtered well. Also be sure they have some hiding spots.

I have never had any problems as I have kept them in the past and had four now. As pointed out by fishkies, the only problem people ever seem to have is feeding them (ironically enough this has never been a problem for me either). I am sorry you havent had the best of luck but i have had mine jump out of nets and tanks onto the floor for over a minute and be fine. Maybe your lfs isnt taking great care of them. Good luck.

Drew

I had them that only lasted a day or two...or a week,
& I also had luck with keeping them for quite awhile.
They were a hit or miss with me. :unsure:

I might be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure ADFs are often treated badly by importers. In a couple of local shops I notice a lot of dead frogs so the ones people buy might well be damaged and dying. My best local shop (Oasis in Salford, Manchester) has had to quarentine them a few times because so many died on receipt or within a few days at the buyers home. I'm sure many other shops sold them anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back