African Dwarf Frogs In A 2 Foot Tall Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NormaJean

Reaction score
I was away for 9 days so I got my boyfriend to take care of my fish and frogs, all he had to do was feed the fish once a day and give the frogs 3 bloodworms each every two days. He found it easier to just throw a bunch of bloodworms in there and let them sit in there to rot. Needless to say the ammonia went up and I can home to 2 dead pygmy cories. I'll be moving the cories and my otos to my 30 gallon. But the frogs can't go in there because it has no lid. I have a 120 gallon tank I can put them in but it's 24" tall, and I know they shouldn't be in a tank with a depth higher then 12" because they need to go un for air once in a while. The ammonia is past living point so I can't keep them in there, they need to be moved. Do you think the frogs would be ok in my 2 foot tall tank?

Please answer quickly.

if the tank there in is a death trap then move them now....
i have 2 frogs in an 18" tank and 2 in a 15" high tank, all fine at the moment, they swim, they zen all over the place they stuff there faces and all is good.
move them till the tank is sorted and move them back again rather than leave them in a 2 ft high home.

also how do you feed a frog 3 bloodworms?? mine stuff there little faces when they have worm and get a little pot belly, then zen like after a sunday roast!!

anyway move them for now i would say.

ps dump the boyfriend for cruelty to animals :shifty:

riffraff

They're fairly small bloodworms, I have two kinds, one is fairly small and thin, which are saved for the smaller fish. The larger ones are mainly for my cichlids.
I just moved them, there is lots of live plants for them to rest on in case they get tired. I was thinking of keeping them in there since their tank is in an inconvenient place for me and I've been wanting to get rid of it for a while now. Do you think that would be fine? I'm sure they'd enjoy the swimming space, and there are no predators in the tank.

We've just moved our two to an 18" tall tank. People recommend keeping them in nothing greater than 12" tall. However they are doing really well - just make sure the filter isn't too strong for them so they can swim up (make sure you have a tall plant or two so that they can rest if need be - well thats what we've done anyway.

Am I being a bit thick here? Surely all you need to do is a 100% water change on the tank to get rid of the ammonia then it would be fit for the frogs to live in. Unless something else happened that killed the filter bacteria?

Most reactions

Back