African Dwarf Frog

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank with a few Mystery snails, Mollies, and Cories. Today I was looking around at my LFS when I noticed African Dwarf Frogs. I've been doing some research on them and they seem like they would be compatible with my fish but I thought I would ask on here first if it would be a good idea to get any African Dwarf Frogs for my tank. My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 3 nitrate, and 7.3 PH. Thanks in advance

Hi :) sadly they are not really compatible.
African dwarf frogs are really slow eaters and have a hard time finding food due to poor eyesight, in a community aquarium with fish they often starve

When the frogs go up for air the fish often nip at the frogs

If you have fish they will constantly be hiding.
If the tank is too tall they wont be able to surface to breath easily. Is this a 20 gallon tall?

On the other hand in a species only tank they do great.

My tank is 12 inches tall from the sand up to the surface of the water and I was planning on feeding the frog with tweezers (I read about this online although I don't know if this would actually work)

They should really be kept in a species only tank, as JuiceBox said.

The other factor to consider is that frogs are very sensitive to chemicals in the water and would be badly affected, if not killed, if you ever had sick fish which needed treatment.

Keeping ADF with fish you really miss out on their quirky behavior as the frogs will be shy and reclusive around fish.
In a species only tank they are active and swimming and floating and out and about and one can even hear them chirp or croak. They may even have babies, with fish this fun behavior is missed.
They are also very social creatures that belong in groups, i imagine if one had say 6 ADF feeding each one individually with tweezers would be tiresome.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back