African Dwarf Frog

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hope this is in the correct section :/

Does anyone have much experience on caring for African dwarf frogs??
I used to have three about ten years ago but can't remember a huge amount about their care.

I know they are not to be kept in a tank more than 20 inches high, and appreciate as they are not brilliant swimmers, they shouldn't pose much of a risk to other fish as they are more opportunistic if a fish happens to be swimming near.

I was thinking of them for my 2ft long by 1x1 to be kept with sparkling Gouramis, potential endlers/chilli rasbora and pygmy corys.

The tank will be heavily planted and lts of slate caves etc

Tank is 54 litres.

Thank you

The better section is Amphibians

They do best in species only tanks as they are not competitors for food given their poor eye sight. They are great on their own or if you want to section off a part of the tank for them. say 1/4 of the tank for a pair or trio? It would work well and you can hid the barrier with plantings.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I have kept them and ACF for years.

u don't know much, but you could ask to move ths over to the invertebrate, amphibian, aquatic reptiles. i do know that the frogs will need to be hand feed, and ts best to fed them at nght snce they use ther sense of smell for food and the other fish won't see the food. but even then the frog could easily be outcompeted for food

They will be fine with these tankmates.

Feeding is slightly tricky as they don't eat flake. But small frozen bloodworms and brine shrimps are taken, as well as tiny pieces of seafood. Mine also go for crushed Hikari Cichlid Gold.

Cheers, Neale

I was thinking of them for my 2ft long by 1x1 to be kept with sparkling Gouramis, potential endlers/chilli rasbora and pygmy corys.

Thanks for the input folks, I would be worried about filtration if I partitioned the tank :/

Thanks Neale, I was hoping to either feed blood worm through baster in their general direction, or put some in after lights out, as will have lots of hide caves for them.

I know they are active during day but wasnt sure whether they would search for food at night after lights out.

Sorry Jenste, didn't see the amphibian section! :(

You can use a partition with holes in it and filtration generally isn't a problem. You can make your own divider and this way you can control the gaps. Also be warned that they will take "nibbles" on the fish.

They will see the fish moving as a shadow and will go after most anything that moves in their search for food. This includes fish fins or corydoras barbels.

I believe they're nocturnal in the wild, or at least crepuscular (i.e., active by dawn and dusk). But mine seem to feed whenever there's something yummy put out for them. They go wild for frozen brine shrimp (use the fortified kind, e.g., spirulina-enriched otherwise adult brine shrimp are not very nutritious).

Jenste is right about them attacking anything, albeit in a rather clumsy way. While harmless to their tankmates, it's funny to see them bump into bits of seafood, try to swallow them, and then realise the chunk is too big and use their front legs to pull the food out of their mouths. Very comical animals, and not hard to keep. I did lose one to the inlet of a Fluval 104 filter though, so be careful.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks Jenste, didn't even think of that! Think I will try them in whole tank initially, then if feeding problems occur or attempted clumsy attacks on fish, I always have the option of Perspex later.

Thanks for the advice, and happy new year to you all!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back