ghhghh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
I am setting up an 80l tank and wAnt some adfs
but I was wondering what tank
mates would be Appropriate with them, also
subrates and plants. Thx in advance.

I find that with adf/acf sand is the miracle substrate!!! esp with adf....it is much easier for them to find their food (rather than having to poke their noses in the cracks between rocks or gravel). and it is much softer for their little bellies!

as far as tank mates you want gentle fish who aren't pigs! adfs hunt by scent, not sight like fish. this means it takes them longer to find their food and if they are housed with piggy fish...they most often will not get their fair share and starve.

one tank mate that I have found to be wonderful with adfs are baby black moor goldfish, slow to hunt due to their telescope eyes and very gentle and have HUGE personalities!

other great tankmates are hatchet fish, cories, smal neons, livebearers - the frogs love the yummy fry!!!

just make sure that you do not choose any fish that have a cranky temperment...the little frogs will be pestered.

just add in some fake plans and a couple frogs...and you will have very happy frogs!

broken up reptomin sticks and bloodworms make for a very happy froggy tummy....sinking food works best (reptomin floats) because most fish go to the surface to feed and sinking foods gives the frogs an advantage!

just never - never never NEVER - feed just flakes....it offers no nutritional value at all the ADFs!!

Will they eat algae wafers, jbl novo tabs
I know they love bloodworm but what sinking food will they like?

Will they eat algae wafers, jbl novo tabs
I know they love bloodworm but what sinking food will they like?

if you are up for it....live black worms are absolutely slurped up! Live guppy fry : or any type of livebearer fr, Frozen or Freeze Dried Brineshrim, Frozen or Freeze Dried Bloodworms or Glassworm, HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites, Reptomin, Frozen Beefheart, Frozen or Freeze dried krill or baby shrimp, Earthworms or nightcrawlers choped into small bite sized pieces

For earthworms can I just get some from my garden freeze them and
chop them up for my adfs?

IF you dont treat your lawn/garden with chemicals....or you can just go to your local bait shop for fishing and get a tub of them for just a couple dollars.....just chop them up realllllly tiny before you freeze them

Also can u think if any other suitable tankmates. I already am thinking
about khuli loaches, red cherry shrimp, and a hilstream loach which sucks
on to the glass. So preferably mid/top swimming fish, I was thinking about gouramis
but mine in my big tank r the first to the food. I'm getting an 80liter cube tank, so I
don't really want an empty space with just plants in the middle.
Thx

how about a sorority of 6 female bettas?

whether a sorority of females or just one male....you run the risk of having a betta with a mean personality who has the ability to rip toes/legs off the frog. its best to try with just one male....and have the betta added after the frogs that way he sees them as part of his territory rather than an invader. with a sorority...while they are hashing out the order of command with each other - they may put some of that hostility on the frogs - who have no way of fighting back

If I get other fish, like bettas or preferably gouramis, should I
put a bit of flake food for the gouramis to get and then add bloodworm for the frogs
or is there another wAy to ensure that the frogs get enough
food?

since frogs hunt by scent and fish by sight....i always had the best luck giving the fish their dinner first, then turning off the tank light for the night and feeding the frogs then.

What happens if the fish eat during the night?
Also how much do the frogs actually have to eat
to be happy and recieve a decent meal (how many single bloodworms
do they need to eat a day?)

also I heard that if u put a container in to the tank with some food in it and the
opening to it is only big enough for the frogs to get in it will help,
but in order to find out how much to put in to the container
I need to know how much they need to eAT.
Thx in advance

i would say about 5 bloodworms per frog....maybe a bit more as they get older...you want their belly to be slightly round after they eat, but not bulging. the frogs can and will EAT themselves to death...so always do a little less in the beginning to see how much they consume.

and word of caution - people who have used containers such as water bottles / small vases to feed the frog have had frequent casualties while the frogs are learning how to eat out of the container - many frogs have drowned from not being able to find their way out of the container to reach the surface for air!
as I said in a previous post, they have poor vision and it takes practice to "see" the differences in the container to know how to get out!

Ok thx for the amount the eat
at first I was going to feed them with tweezers
and the the container

Can I feed them sink g fish foods
like jbl novo tabs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back