African dwarf frog questions (mating, tank care)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Jparetzky

Reaction score
Iā€™m not sure if this is the right place to post this but I recently purchased two African dwarf frogs in a 3.5 gallon. I know itā€™s small Iā€™m hoping to update them soon. I thought I did enough research but I have a few questions.

1) I caught my frogs today in the mating position and was wondering if every time they mate, there will be eggs. Is there a good website I can look at to educate myself to prepare?

2) I fed them thawed blood worms last night. I thought my snail would eat the leftovers but thereā€™s still some left. Iā€™m having difficulty getting it out. How am I supposed to do that bc I donā€™t want the frogs or my snail to get sick or overeat.

3) also, I thought both my frogs were male but like I said they were mating this morning. Would u be able to tell me how to see which one is a female and whoā€™s a male?

Attachments

• 70067A54-CCF0-43C5-A141-C37163F37584.jpeg
    70067A54-CCF0-43C5-A141-C37163F37584.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 36C72E0C-CD68-4018-BA6C-946407FC0A7D.jpeg
    36C72E0C-CD68-4018-BA6C-946407FC0A7D.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 109
I've never kept these, but my wife had one when she was in college. It made sounds like an old-school video game. :) I know nothing about their mating habits. Maybe it's time you had that talk with them...they grow up so fast these days. I know that with most frogs the male is a bit smaller and will normally be the one, um, riding piggy-back.

You can clean up uneaten food with a turkey baster.

I have three male dwarf frogs and they will absolutely attempt to mate with each other even if all are male. You can tell the sex of your frogs by looking for a white or pink bump on their sides right behind the forelegs; this gland is only present on male frogs. Females do not have this gland and will also grow larger and more pear-shaped than males, which are leaner and more muscular. Another way to tell is to listen late at night - the males make a chirping sound that sounds a bit like a zipper being pulled almost nightly, year-round.

Is that the same frog in both pictures? It looks like a male to me.

I hand feed my frogs frozen food with tongs to avoid leftover food clouding the water and to make sure everyone gets their fair share. You can remove leftover or dropped food easily with a turkey baster.

They are two different frogs. I was pretty sure they were male.
also, I bought blood worms and brine shrimp, do I need to buy food pellets as well? I wasnā€™t sure

thank you for your help!

ZooMed frog & tadpole food
HBH frog food.

You risk dropsy feeding them blood worms as a staple. I had to learn that the hard way.

Feed them this, or some other aquatic frog food. You can also help them find it easier by feeding in the same spot every time. ADF's are pretty much blind. They can see, but, they find their food by scent or accidentally bumping into it. They have crappy vision. While they will eat bloodworms, feeding any aquarium with these too much will cause die off. Some claim this or that brand are ok, and kudos for them and their luck, but via experience, them are a treat.

Snails will eat up whatever they find. Meats will need to decompose a little before they will get interested in it, unless they are there when it hits the bottom. They sniff it out as well.

Unless you do a sole ADF tank, they can be a challenge for most to keep long term. They require a different kind of care than fish....not to mention the potential for spreading diseases to humans. Salmonella being the big one.

20201015_210549.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back