African Dwarf Frog has cut/injury on butt, HELP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jedimildred54

Reaction score
I have 2 african dwarf frogs in a 5.5 gallon tank. The NO2 and NO3 seem to be zero. PH between 7-7.5. GH &KH good I had Petco test the water and they said it was fine. One of my frogs has red around the anus like a cut. I'm wondering if bleeding from pooping/constipation or injury. I did see the other frog bite him on the butt. I got frozen instead of freeze dried (was told FD bloodworms were good but I don't think so anymore could cause constipation) Also activity and eating normal. Question below pics...
20201128_212532.jpg20201128_212510.jpg
20201128_211333.jpg
So if bleeding from butt/constipated how do I help?
Or...if injury how do I help?

Sorry busy lolling over the first picture of the frog mooning the camera. Take that you nosey photographer :)

I can't tell anything from the pictures but small wounds will normally heal by themselves if the water conditions are good and the frog is healthy.

---------------------
How often do you feed the frogs?
If they are eating well, I would feed them 3-5 times a day for a few weeks to help them build up fat reserves. The extra food will help them repair any damage. Then reduce feeding to 2-3 times per day.

Do you feed the frog anything besides bloodworms?
They should get a variety of food ranging from brineshrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia, glass shrimp, small fish, small insect larvae, etc.

---------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to help clean up the tank conditions and reduce the number of disease organisms in the water. This should help the frog heal.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

---------------------
Do not use fish medications to treat frogs because it usually kills the frog.

Thank you so much for the advice. I was wondering about the fish meds, so thanks life saving advice. Just bought a fresh water multi pack of frozen food (bloodworms brine shrimp etc). I feed them skipping 2 days between (like sunday then wednesday). I'm glad to know it will heal on his own. This really helped. Also I change 1/4 water once a week. Was feeding only freeze dried so now I'm gonna switch it up.

I would do bigger water changes or change it more often. After the frog has healed, doing a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week will help keep the water clean. Just make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

However, do a 75% water change and gravel clean each day for the next week to reduce disease organisms (fungus and bacteria) in the water and that should help the wound heal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back