African Clawed Frogs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I haven't looked into this properly yet, but do they require the same sort of care as ADF?

Would a 20gallon long tank be a suitable size? How many would you recommend? (I'm thinking 2, possibly 3?)

(We have 2 ADF, but I quite fancy some ACFs.

The tank would be a species only tank.

you could put three in a 20 gallon long tank (i think)
i don't know about the care being the same as ADFs. i think you could feed the ACF pinkie mice or smaller fish?

If we're talking Hymenochirus vs. Xenopus then the main difference is size. Dwarf frogs (H.) might get to 5cm, Xenopus laevis are significantly larger (12cm or so). I'd stick with a pair probably, though 3 would probably be ok.

They're pretty hardy, I guess a standard fishtank setup, temp. about 22-24, no substrate. They will take reptomin, but like all these things a varied diet is best.

That's about all I know, other than that they used to be use for pregnancy testing before modern tests were developed. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1591324/)

Many years ago I had a 20 gallon with 2 Albino Clawed and 2 African Clawed. It was a lightly planted tank with 5 or 6 plants. They like to hide a lot. It also had gravel and I feed them Frozen Bloodworms. They were there from like 4 years till the African clawed Frogs ate the Albino Clawed Frogs. They got BIG.

Most reactions

trending

Back