African Clawed Frog has a sore arm

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thatg1r1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am concerned for my African Clawed Frog Tod. I have noticed his arm has some strange red marks, almost blister like. Could it be a form of red leg on his arm?? He is tank sharing a 80litre tank with two Weather Loaches. One weather loach had a bad case of fin rot so I currently have him in quarantine. I did a water change right away. Is it possible my frog has got infected?
I have done a water change and used a Tetra strip test on the water, it only flagged up hard water as a warning.
Any suggestions of how to make my little froggy better?

Attachments

• compressjpeg.zip
    849.3 KB · Views: 549
Can you post a picture that is not in a zip file?
Sorry I just don't open any zip files :)

Have you checked the water quality?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH of the tank water? It's also a good idea to check your main water supply too because that can sometimes have nitrates in it.
Finrot on the weather loach and red skin on amphibians is just about always due to poor water quality.

How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank and how often do you clean it and how do you clean it?

Without knowing the water quality the best thing to do is a 75% water change each day for a week. Use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate each time you do a water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it goes into the tank.

Can you post a picture that is not in a zip file?
Sorry I just don't open any zip files :)

Have you checked the water quality?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH of the tank water? It's also a good idea to check your main water supply too because that can sometimes have nitrates in it.
Finrot on the weather loach and red skin on amphibians is just about always due to poor water quality.

How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank and how often do you clean it and how do you clean it?

Without knowing the water quality the best thing to do is a 75% water change each day for a week. Use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate each time you do a water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it goes into the tank.

I am not at home at the moment to re check the water but will update you later on. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years now, only recently have I had problems. I clean the filter and do a water change with a gravel cleaner once a week. The tank has a huge algae problem so I have to keep on top of it. Apologies for the zip, my phone wouldn't let me upload.

Attachments

• 31167013_10156208508565502_8799724155063762944_n.jpg
    31167013_10156208508565502_8799724155063762944_n.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 475
The algae on the plants looks like blue green algae (Cyanobater bacteria). This is a photosynthetic bacteria, basically a bacteria that can use light to grow, but it does not need light to grow.

Does the algae wipe off easily and lift off in a sheet or film, and does it have an unpleasant musty odour? if yes then it is blue green algae. A photo of the algae on plants and ornaments would help to confirm that.

Blue green algae is often found in water with low oxygen levels, high nutrients, lots of rotting organic matter, and minimal water movement.

If you are feeding dry food to the loaches then reduce the amount you feed and offer some frozen (but defrosted) foods instead. Make sure you remove any uneaten food after 10-15 minutes.

Try doing a gravel clean and 50-75% water change each day for a couple of weeks and see if you can syphon out as much algae as possible.

If you have fluorescent lights on the tank and you have not replaced the globes in the last 12 months, then replace the globes and starters in the light unit. Old globes and globes with a lot of red light can encourage this. Use globes with a kelvin rating of 5500k-6500k, preferably 6500k. Make sure you replace the starters in the light unit too. Starters and globes need to be replaced at the same time. You can get fluorescent starters at any hardware or lighting store for a couple of dollars.

Increase aeration and water movement around the tank, especially at the bottom.

---------------------
The frog looks like it has a minor bacterial infection on the hand and forearm. It could be partly from the blue green algae or it might have scratched itself and an infection has gotten in. Try doing the water changes and gravel cleans for a week or more and see if it helps. If it doesn't you will need to find a medication to treat it. Just make sure any medication you use is safe for frogs.

---------------------
What sort of filter do you have and how do you clean it?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back