African cichlid mix

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Long ago I was recommended to change to African cichlid salt to increase my hardness, but I was warned to ā€œavoid the white oneā€ not sure what he meant by that (@Byron). Iā€™m changing substrate again but this time I bought this which Iā€™m confused wether itā€™s harmful or not.
This is what @Byron said,
-Aragonite is a carbonate mineral, being calcium and magnesium. I know CaribSea produce an aragonite sand as I have used it. They also have an "African Cichlid Mix" sand. There seem to be various types for both of these. Avoid white, it is hard on fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Itā€™s for a Molly community tank

Most Rift Lake water conditioners are white because the minerals used to make the mix are white. All the Rift Lake water conditioners I have used are white powder.

White substrates cause light to reflect off the bottom and fish can be stressed from the brightness. This is more of an issue for fishes that come from dark/ black water (caused by tannins) or deep water where not a lot of light penetrates.

Darker substrates are preferable and will make the fish more relaxed and they will show better colour in a tank with a dark substrate vs a light substrate.

I agree. To clarify the issues mentioned in post #1, avoid pure white substrates. The sand in the rift lakes, according to the photos and videos I have seen, are buff or tan coloured, basically like sea sand. Those intended for rift lake fish will have minerals like calcium and magnesium to provide the necessary hardness that these fish require. You can also use this substrate for livebearers which also must have a higher GH. Just avoid any white substrate.

I agree. To clarify the issues mentioned in post #1, avoid pure white substrates. The sand in the rift lakes, according to the photos and videos I have seen, are buff or tan coloured, basically like sea sand. Those intended for rift lake fish will have minerals like calcium and magnesium to provide the necessary hardness that these fish require. You can also use this substrate for livebearers which also must have a higher GH. Just avoid any white substrate.
ā€œAvoid any white substrateā€ In general or you referring to this brand?

ā€œAvoid any white substrateā€ In general or you referring to this brand?

Always. Never have a white substrate. Tan or buff is light in tone but it is not white. There are darker sands too that may work in tanks where an inert substrate is preferable, inert being one that does not increase GH/pH as the calcareous rift lake sands do.

Always. Never have a white substrate. Tan or buff is light in tone but it is not white. There are darker sands too that may work in tanks where an inert substrate is preferable, inert being one that does not increase GH/pH as the calcareous rift lake sands do.
One last question, do you guys know how much #% it buff your water perimeters?

One last question, do you guys know how much #% it buff your water perimeters?

It depends upon the source water parameters to some extent. But these calcareous substrates will dissolve calcium and magnesium continually, and the GH, KH and pH will likely be suited to fish requiring this. The minimum for hard water species is the crucial factor; once you have moderately hard water you are less likely to have issues.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back