African Biotope

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So Im setting up my african biotope tank still...
I got rid of the BGK and came home with two leopard ctenopoma :D

So my tank now has:

3 Senegalus Bichirs (Polypterus senegalus senegalus)
2 Lace Syno (Synodontis nigrita)
1 African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi)
2 Spotted Climbing Perch (Ctenopoma acutirostre)

So what do you guys think?

what else should I add?

I wanted to add a couple more leopard ctenopomas, maybe one more ABF and an albino senegulas or palmas bichir?

should I do that or add something else or keep it how it is?

I'm not 100% sure that butterflyfish will get along with so many large species, and Ct. acutirostre us quite shy and doesn't really like competitors or bullies. I'd tend to keep those two species with docile, midwater things, such as Congo tetras or one of the other African tetras (Arnoldichthys is nice, if you can find it). Then, I'd use a smaller catfish, like S. nigriventris, and keep it in groups, so that it would be a bit more day active.

But I guess a lot depends on the individual fish, mand how much cover and rockwork you use. Ct. acutirostre behaves totally different in a cramped aquarium compared with a larger one, for example. If it feels confined and/or bullied, it is completely shy and hides away all the time.

Wholesale Tropicals had a really nice Ctenopoma oxyrhynchum when I was in there this afternoon. Worth checking out; quite an unusual species, though similar to Ct. acutirostre is far as care goes.

Either way, you will need some dither fish to bring these fish out to play. They're all pretty retiring species otherwise. Tetras are one option, but there are some African barbs out there, or even the small Distichodus.

Cheers,

Neale

The butterfly fish right now is the king of the tank, biggest one Ive ever seen (6 or 7")
I chose not to use Congo tetras because the bichirs would eat them eventually.
These are my first synos and I thought they would be pretty active. They are basically out of the way like most of my other catfish in my other tanks.

The Ct. acutirostre are fairly shy and usually hide amongs leaves and rocks.
but for the most part, so does everything else.
the tank dosent looked cramped. the ABF controls the upper levels. the bichirs the bottom. the catfish find the niche and only come out for feeding and the Ct. acutirostre chill under any cover they can find.
I actually am starting to think it is going to be okay.
but your right. i do need more activity in the tank.

wish i could check out that shop but its an awfully long ways away from Arizona haha.

Check this with a bichir expert, just to be sure. Congo tetras are pretty big when fully grown, and I've kept them just fine with P. palmas (admittedly, a small species of bichir). If you're lucky, P senegalus might be fine with Congos, which would be cool, because they're amazing fish, and if you have the space, very few other tetras are even half as pretty.

Cheers,

Neale

I chose not to use Congo tetras because the bichirs would eat them eventually.

It will really depend on the agression level of the bichir.I know people who keep them with P.delhezis.Congo tetras are right on the border size wise.-Anne

they are pretty mild acting.

they are all in a 60 gallon so Im gonna have to most likely upgrade to meet all my plans for this tank.
a school of congo tetras, 2 more Ct. acutirostre and one more bichir.

that is when i upgrade.
i could get a small school of congos in there right nopw though :fun:

that sounds like a really cool tank - any chance you can post some pictures?

A nice choice of fish too

shame about the bichirs eating smallerfish - in my dream African biotope tank i'm hoping to mix elephant nose fish with some dwarf cichids (Nanochromis?) and killis (so many to choose from) - all with plenty of tiger lotus lillies and anubias to make it look good!

well killis are found in thier natural habitat.
im sure if you have a breeding population and a big enough tank they'll be find.

they are just too gosh darn expensive where I live.

Most reactions

trending

Back