Advice, please! Tank light broken, which replacement to buy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I'm a tech dunce, and get completely lost when people talk about par etc. So I only want a pretty simple light that doesn't involve too much programming etc. I'm happy with my low tech planted tanks, but I'd still like a light that is good to keep my plants healthy! The light that's broken was a cheapy I bought like three years ago, so it hasn't done too bad. But Nicrew always has good reviews, inexpensive, and the nicrew lights on my other tanks seem to be fine, the plants are doing well. I do find the daylight setting a bit yellowish though... I did like that this one, the light was whiter/brighter, so if anyone has other suggestions in the same sorta £25- £35 price range, I'd love to hear them!

But looking at Amazon Nicrew lights, I'm so lost! There are so many, and I get so confused looking at par etc. I can't even tell the differences really, let alone which would be better. Please, someone who understands lighting, and low tech planted, like @mbsqw1d , @seangee, @Byron or @Wills , what lights do you guys like/suggest/hate?

These are the three I've been looking at, but I'm not 100% to sticking with Nicrew.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HI42IB4/?tag=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BFN196G/?tag=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXL9GBW/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm in a very similar situation. For 30 years I've been using T8 fluorescent, and having tried many of the different tubes I found those that worked very well. Now the problem is, they are discontinuing T8 most places. My tubes are due for replacement (T8 are useful 12 months, then need replacing) and I am seriously thinking of LED. Much to decide.

I'm in a very similar situation. For 30 years I've been using T8 fluorescent, and having tried many of the different tubes I found those that worked very well. Now the problem is, they are discontinuing T8 most places. My tubes are due for replacement (T8 are useful 12 months, then need replacing) and I am seriously thinking of LED. Much to decide.

I remember florescent tubing! The tanks my father always had while I was a kid, how much he complained about how expensive the tubes were to replace, lol.

Definitely a lot to consider with the LED lights now. You're more scientifically and technically minded than I am. I have strengths in other areas, so I don't mind admitting when I'm lost, and need a trusted friend's advice! Find an injured or orphaned wild or domestic animal? Bring it to me. People in our area have bought rescues to us before, knowing we keep dogs and birds etc, and have saved a few. I'm great at things like that. But car repairs, computing or tech issues, and I need someone smarter to guide me ;)

The downside to LED lighting compared to tubing though is I don't think you can repair or replace parts, the way you could replace one tube with the fluorescents. The daylight setting has quit on my current tank light, but night setting still works. Since it only cost £30 or so three years ago though, replacing the whole thing is the only real option.

@mbsqw1d ! Glad you're here dude! You know this stuff! The links have the right dimensions, tank is 60cm long, 30 wide.:)

I really love my programmable hygger sunrise/sunset light... It was fairly cheap and will ramp up and back down. It has a factory set option and then you can set your own options if you want... And it is fairly easy to program... I only raged two times :). But compared to other lights it is super simple to program after I watched a YT video on it.

Is this a 60l tank?
Light colour (kelvin) - between 5000-6500K
Intensity (lumens) - 20 lumens per litre for low light plants (anubius, ferns..)
30-40 lumens per litre for medium grow plants like swords
40+ lumens per litre for high grow plants (red leaves and dense carpeting plants)

I can only vouch for one model of nicrew that I had running for 2 years before upgrading to a fluval led.
Seangee and many others run nicrew so we know the make is good, so its just picking one of their many models!

Out of those three links you provided, I'd go for the skyLED Plus - simply because it has the highest lumens and the kelvin fits. Better to have more than enough light that you can dim than not have enough, or need to run on max. If you have plants that will be forming a canopy, then also good to be able to go brighter so the shaded areas aren't completely dark.
Not sure what is supplied with them, but nicrew sell separate controllers that allow you to customise levels and set times / ramp up/down intensity

Is this a 60l tank?
Light colour (kelvin) - between 5000-6500K
Intensity (lumens) - 20 lumens per litre for low light plants (anubius, ferns..)
30-40 lumens per litre for medium grow plants like swords
40+ lumens per litre for high grow plants (red leaves and dense carpeting plants)

I can only vouch for one model of nicrew that I had running for 2 years before upgrading to a fluval led.
Seangee and many others run nicrew so we know the make is good, so its just picking one of their many models!

Out of those three links you provided, I'd go for the skyLED Plus - simply because it has the highest lumens and the kelvin fits. Better to have more than enough light that you can dim than not have enough, or need to run on max. If you have plants that will be forming a canopy, then also good to be able to go brighter so the shaded areas aren't completely dark.
Not sure what is supplied with them, but nicrew sell separate controllers that allow you to customise levels and set times / ramp up/down intensity
Awesome, thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed... someone who knows who Kevin is and what's a lumen... :lol:

Having the brightness to deal with the shading of the canopy plants would definitely be good for this tank. I'm way overdue for plant maintenance (water is taken care of though, don't worry!) and the plant matter is so dense now, I'd be embarrassed to show it. :blush:

Just know that the hygrophilia siamensis 53B has grown a good five inches above the water surface... :lol::blush:

Most reactions

Back