Advice Please, Please Don't Yell

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ballyclover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

i have read though several forum topics but although there is alot of advice they dont really answer my questions

i have a 40 gallon tank which currently stocks lots of different community fish, run of the mill stuff but boring. i want to bring some colour to the tank and rather like the idea of cichlids.

currently all my guppies and cherry shrimp are up for sale,as is my blind cave tetra. i have 3 bristlenose which i would like to keep.several kulli loachs and some large sucking fish.

So my question is which fish should i be looking at as a beginner.My requirements would be ideally, colourful and able to get along with the bristlenose and loaches.

Should i keep plants in or do Cichlids prefer open spaces with a few rocks?

Thank you in advance

what sort of water parameters do you have?

Kuhli loach will tend to limit the choice of cichlids you could keep as i would expect most 4-5" + cichlids would hunt them

african species like Kribensis or African Butterfly cichlids are small and very hardy and could work in a community environment, Many of the South American Dwarfs may also be an option for a mixed community although some may be more picky of you setup, (ph, temp etc.)

Slightly larger cichlids such as Firemouths and Rainbow Cichlids may be another option depending on actual tank dimensions,

thanks Davo

all parameters are within specs, i cant remember the number but last time i did the water tests they were all find incl PH,whoch i believe has to be slightly hightier for cichlids

I ll take alook ay the smaller ones, or mayb time for the Kuhli to go too

all parameters are within specs, i cant remember the number but last time i did the water tests they were all find incl PH,whoch i believe has to be slightly hightier for cichlids

Doesn't really answer the question though? Different species require different 'specs' with some of the common dwarfs I.e. Blue rams needing very specific conditions.

Only African lake cichlids need higher ph levels, the (mainly) American cichlids you'll be looking at don't

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back