What's new

Advice On Water Changes In A Bigger Tank?

jfeld

Reaction score
Hi,

I think it's high time I moved my betta into a bigger tank. Nothing huge, just a few gallons, but big enough that I won't be able to carry it back and forth from the bathroom... I was wondering if some of the experienced betta owners had any advice on how to do partial (or whole) water changes without moving the tank. Thanks very much!

Julia

RandomWiktor

Rabid Betta Activist
Reaction score
A 5g tank with water and gravel is only about 50lbs, and not too bad to carry (I weigh about 98lbs and am by no means a body builder and have no trouble cleaning 5 tanks a day, every day, every week). So really, you should still be able to lift and move the tank unless you have back troubles or are very young/light. However, if you don't want t risk dropping it, my advice would be to siphon out the majority of the water, then empty the rest so you can get out whatever the siphon missed. I do this with my divided 10 and 15g tanks and it works great. :good:

piatotsini

Reaction score
I use a couple of 2 liter soda bottles (thoroughly wash them first) to transport water. 2x2 liter soda bottles = 1 gallon of water, more or less.

If your tank is big enough, then it's probably a good idea to have it filtered. That way you get to do 25% - 30% water change weekly instead of the usual 100%. Look in the DIY section, there's some posts that show how to buffer the filter flow so it doesn't/wouldn't bother the betta.