Advice on stocking new tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

tropicalnewbie94

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and Iā€™m new to keeping tropical fish so please be kind!

I currently have a 60l tank with tropical fish but I have just purchased a new 125l Fluval Roma tank and am already thinking about what I could stock it with! But Iā€™d like some advice to ensure I donā€™t over stock it or mix fish that shouldnā€™t be mixed.

This is what I currently have and plan to add to the new tank:
2 x male dwarf gourami
5 x fancy male guppies
1 x male molly

This is what I am thinking of stocking my new tank with:
15 x fancy guppies
2 x dwarf gouramis
4 x mollies
1 x Bristlenose pleco
3/4 (?) x Bolivian rams

How does this sound? Am I on the right track or way off? Iā€™m also hoping to have live plants and a sand substrate.

Thank you for your help!

Remember to cycle your tank first before stocking. I dont really know much about stocking unfortunately.

Hi! I see some issues unfortunately.
Do you know the general hardness of your water (look up your cities water parameters)? You have a mix of fish that require different kinds of water.
Also the tank you will be getting is too small for mollies, and with that many guppies, it will fill up fast.
I will comment on the rest of the fish once we have figured out how hard your water is.

I wouldn't keep 2 male gouramis together. They are territorial fish and once settled in they could well start to fight. Dwarfs are at the aggressive end of the gourami spectrum.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and Iā€™m new to keeping tropical fish so please be kind!

I currently have a 60l tank with tropical fish but I have just purchased a new 125l Fluval Roma tank and am already thinking about what I could stock it with! But Iā€™d like some advice to ensure I donā€™t over stock it or mix fish that shouldnā€™t be mixed.

This is what I currently have and plan to add to the new tank:
2 x male dwarf gourami
5 x fancy male guppies
1 x male molly

This is what I am thinking of stocking my new tank with:
15 x fancy guppies
2 x dwarf gouramis
4 x mollies
1 x Bristlenose pleco
3/4 (?) x Bolivian rams

How does this sound? Am I on the right track or way off? Iā€™m also hoping to have live plants and a sand substrate.

Thank you for your help!

Guppies and mollies are hard water fish gouramis and rams are soft water fish.

If ones water is hard then guppies would be more suitable for your tank size than mollies.

If your water is soft then I wouldn't recommend keeping gouramis and Rams together, as both are territorial and one or the other may get picked on. So pick one or the other.

Figure out your water DGH ( general hardness) either test it your self or go to municipal water supply report website

@tropicalnewbie94 You should be able to find your hardness on your water company's website. Most of them give the hardness in numbers, though 3 only give it in words. If they give it, you need anumber and the unit of measurement - there are several different units for hardness, and UK water companies often use ones not used in fishkeeping so we need to convert it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back