Advice On Planting A Tank For First-Time?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lm118

Reaction score
Hi, I want to put some plants in my tank but was wondering if someone could advise me on the easiest ones for a first-timer? I've just cycled my tank and put the first few fish in it. Maybe I should have waited, is it going to be a pain to plant the tank now?

So I bought a second hand tank and unfortunately the light decided to pack it in just before the tank had cycled. I'm about to buy a replacement t8 bulb, which I'm guessing gives off a pretty low amount of light, but I can't afford a better one then that at the moment.

Yea so any tips or advice on how to go about doing this/which plants to buy? The tank (Juwel Rekord 70 litre) has a few fake plants in it, bogwood, and sand. I'd like some taller plants at the back, and to maybe tie some moss to the bogwood?

I have no idea about root tabs/fertilizer thingys either so if someone could fill me in on that it'd be great!

I don't see any reason why it should be a pain to plant the tank now. I could be wrong, so maybe someone with more experience will correct me if I am. As for types of plants, you can't go wrong with Java moss or Java fern, both of which can and should be tied to wood for best results. Other good, low maintenance ones are most types of crypts (my personal preference is wendtii, if I'm spelling it right), wisteria, and anubias. Good luck!

Heya, Can you tell me the wattage of the light?

Good starter plants are crypts, Java fern, Anubias etc.

You'll want to add ferts if you want nice healthy plants, Are you from the UK?

hey, thanks for the replies guys! Yea, I think i'll get some java moss/fern to start with then, and have a look at the crypts/anubias too.

Yea i'm from the UK Techen, the tube is 15w.

Will any ferts do? If i put in ferts then will i not need to bother with root tabs?

Thanks again :)

You could prob get away with not using ferts in there but using them is better than taking the risk of not, neutro T from aqua essentials is good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back