Advice On Lighting Upgrade

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
hey, i want to upgrade my lighting (currently just have the standard 18w juwel lighting unit in an 80l/20g tank)...Looking at the interpet compact t5 but really dont know what to go with. Id like to go from my currently 1wpg to around 2/2.5WPG but i have no idea how large the tubes are :) Realisticly ill be looking at a 24 watt unit, anyone know how long these tubes are? All the info you can give will really help :)

I'd go with the interpet compact t5.

High Power T5 Compact Lighting.

# Available in the following wattages/sizes:
#18W (217mm/8.5")
# 24W (308mm/12")
# 36W (406mm/16")
# 55W (531mm/21")

The single tube ballasts start at ~£18 for the 18w and the double tube ballasts end at ~£40 for the 55w

The bulbs start at £5.95 ... but you can buy 55w bulbs for as little as £4 if you buy them from a lighting suppliers rather than an aquarium shop.

The bulb connector will also take up a bit of space maybe as much as 2". I have the 55w version and am thinking of getting the 2x55w one as well, I would definitely recommend getting one.

Cheers mate, ill go with the 24w t5 compact (Giving me 42w over 20g, so just over 2WPG)...Sound like enough for quality plant growth? Im keen to upgrade so I can start a riccia carpet :)

Hi SJ2K,

Why not consider going open-top with an Arcadia Luminaire?

DSC01291.jpg

Cheers :good:

BTT

That is the 4ft luminaire on my Vision 260. I think that one cost just over £200. :good:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My mother-in-law has an open top tank and about 6 months ago she was cleaning behind it ... 36 dried up fish ... she had wondered where all her fish had been disappearing to. :byebye: So while luminaires have that fashionable look about them they do have a number of downsides.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back