Advice On Killifish Wanted

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What is the longest you've ever had to wait to hatch some eggs BigC? Just out of curiosity.

Youve got to give it to the killi guys theyre patient, i start getting disgruntled when it takes me two weeks to see the fry from a dwarf cichlid's spawning lol!

What is the longest you've ever had to wait to hatch some eggs BigC? Just out of curiosity.
This varies with species and is temperature dependant, some would raise temperatures to bring hatching times down but in truth this has a detremental effect on the fish as a lot of the time you would get abnormalities. The longeat time I had to wait for a first wetting of the peat would have to be almost 6 months (Nothobranchius rachovi) then the peat is redried for to be rewetted at fortnightly intervals thereafter. (there are others both African and South American which have a lot longer incubation period)
When first laid the eggs will start developing then they will stop (the diapause) only to resume sometime later.
Consider a freak rainstorm that filled the temp. watercources where these fish live. The eggs would hatch and the pool would dry up killing all the fish. this is why eggs hatch at different times. This ensures species survival. You will sometimes get more fry from the second or third wetting than from the first. This type of species grow and mature very quickly due to the shorter lifespan. But you will get 12-18mths from tank held specimens.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back