Advice needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I set up my fish tank 4 days ago with filter ,heater , and light . I then added tap safe ,bio boost ,gravel ,plants ,decorations and a air stone . Every thing is working fine the ph now is 7.4 and the ammonia level is less than 0.02 ppm . Is it all right if I add two ammino shrimps tomorrow a few days before I will add the fish ? Thanks for any answers thanks again

You can but you will need to keep the feeding down to a couple of times a week and do a big water change (around 75%) any day you get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Have been following a thread on feeding which blew my practices right out of the water and now Colin says this. My whole world is being turned upside down. And another thing, this testing the water for ammonia and nitrite and other things is something I've never done. An occasional pH test is all I've ever done. And I've been lucky. I've never ever had any major problems. During my hiatus from this great hobby new things have taken hold. For the better say I. This TFF forum is slowly dragging me kicking and screaming out of the Dr. William T. Innes era into the 21st century.

Have been following a thread on feeding which blew my practices right out of the water and now Colin says this.
I will elaborate.
If the aquarium is newly set up and does not have an established biological filter to keep the ammonia and nitrite at 0, you minimise the feeding to a couple of times a week so the ammonia levels stay lower. You also do big regular water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible while the filter develops.

When the filter has developed the beneficial filter bacteria and you no longer have an ammonia or nitrite reading, you can increase the feeding to once or twice a day. Shrimp have a high metabolism and like food so a couple of feedings is better, but not until the filter is established.

This tank was set up 4 days ago, so it will be doing a fish in cycle. If the tank is cycled before fish and shrimp are added, then the OP can feed them once or twice a day straight away.

Poor OP is probably completely lost. How about suggesting that they read up on cycling a tank and the nitrogen cycle? That will help them understand the Lang age. OP, what is your nitrite and nitrate reading only? That is the only way we will know if your tank is safe yet. Read this. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/ It will hel you understand. Also, under forum tabs there is a section for asking questions about cycling your tank. It is helpful. I believe it’s under the beginners Starting point. Cycle Your Tank We’re here too.

Last edited:
Poor OP is probably completely lost. How about suggesting that they read up on cycling a tank and the nitrogen cycle? That will help them understand the Lang age. OP, what is your nitrite and nitrate reading only? That is the only way we will know if your tank is safe yet. Read this. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/ It will hel you understand. Also, under forum tabs there is a section for asking questions about cycling your tank. It is helpful. I believe it’s under the beginners Starting point. Cycle Your Tank We’re here too.
Thanks that was most helpful now I understand thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back