The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loraxchick

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
i need some advice here. I live in the NE usa and we just had a substantial ice storm- around 1/2-3/4 inch of ice on everything. Some serious structural damage to power lines from uncountable downed trees and limbs. i was out of power for 83 hours (who's counting). increadibly, not ONE of my fish died in the ordeal. but now my tanks are a mess so im seeking some planty advice!

i have a 6 gal unfiltered planted tank w/ diy co2 that recently (last three weeks) underwent a MAJOR rescape. Reduced plant load by, id say, at least 50% and changed to sand from gravel. i currently have(had) beautiful healthy annacharis, wisteria, red ludwigia tops, two med. morimo balls, and a nice spindly crypt. tank inhabitants are one 2" red VT betta one cory peppered cory (i know he needs company:( ) and some pond snails (lost a few over the weekend). i now have a HUGE outbreak of BGA. how do i get rid of this affectively.

my last planted attempt (with all of my current plants/inhabitants) suffered a major algae outbreak (BBA, hair, spirogyra AND gs) which i think was due to unstable co2 which i sorted out with a SCRUB over when i changed substrates, and chlorine(bleach) dips of my plnts before rescape. upped my dosing to 5ml/day, remix every 10 days and 30%w/c 2x/wk following rescape with beautiful results(=no algae until power went out...around 3 weeks)...up till now, lights on for 12 hours/day.

during the power outtage, i HAD to pull my CO2 line from the tank for safety of my fish. i also stopped dosing, figuring the plants werent doing much anyway without light and didnt want to give algae the competative edge, so to speak.

what should i do to save my plants (and wonderfully stable filterless tank)???? id absolutely hate to start over (ive just used cuttings since i set it up over 6 mo ago).
should i bleach dip+ OD on ferts? macro and micro?

ANY and all advice welcome....it is early (late) for me so if i missed any relavent info let me know. i truely appreciate any and all help.
CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!

i would keep everything the same as before (no extra erts or lighting etc), perhap buying some excel or easycarbo and overdosing that by 3x daily will help get rid of the algae and help to save your plants a little, but they should survive. Since you have quite a rang of algaes though, it might be worth doing a blackout for 3 days, but i am not sure whether this would be the best thing right now as the fish will have gone through a lot of stress, but take a look at the algae guide in my sig.

i would keep everything the same as before (no extra erts or lighting etc), perhap buying some excel or easycarbo and overdosing that by 3x daily will help get rid of the algae and help to save your plants a little, but they should survive. Since you have quite a rang of algaes though, it might be worth doing a blackout for 3 days, but i am not sure whether this would be the best thing right now as the fish will have gone through a lot of stress, but take a look at the algae guide in my sig.

thanks for the reply and i value your opinion! reight now all that is really taking over is BGA. i had the others under control and mostly eradicated before the outtage (just a little hair algae that i want to stay on to of as well as the nasty BGA. ill do as suggested and let you know. and like you said, a blackout is totally out ofthe question right now...poor, but hardy, fishies :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back