Advice Needed With New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got an absolute bargain the other day :D & I've decided to use it as a little project to see if I can get it how I want it :drool: ! Basically I've bought a 4ft tank (third hand), which was apparently originally a marine tank for the 1st owners & then 'modified' by the 2nd owners to be a tropical tank. My query is:
Can I remove the piece of glass on the left that can be seen in the picture below?
sideview.jpg

Some already appears to have been removed...
missingpiece.jpg

A clearer view from the top (you can see where the holes have been covered)...
topview.jpg

A close up view of how the holes were covered...
holecover.jpg

If I can remove the glass, would it make any difference structurally to the tank? Also, in everyone's opinion would the hole covers be watertight? It was used as a fully functional tank until I bought it so i would assume it is fine, but with it being REALLY heavy I don't want to start messing about in the back garden with a couple of hundred litres of water in it if it's going to collapse :lol: .
Thanks in advance for any help :good: .
Dan

Yes, you can remove it.

It looks like that piece of glass was used for a sump filter, so all should be fine.

The tank should not collapse upon itself when full if you remove this piece of glass.

-FHM

Yes, you can remove it.

It looks like that piece of glass was used for a sump filter, so all should be fine.

The tank should not collapse upon itself when full if you remove this piece of glass.

-FHM

Thanks FHM :good: - just to be really sure I've measured various bits & taken some more pics just in case it makes any difference?
It's made from 10mm glass & has a 'bullnose' front with a solid strut at the front (see below)
fronttop.jpg

My only concern was that it was 4ft long & had support at the front but not the rear...
aerialview.jpg

I take it that shouldn't matter? Any tips on removing the glass & silicone from inside as I've never attempted anything like this before?

Dan

Just so its clear, you want to remove this piece of glass here.

(In Red)

LOL

glass.jpg

-FHM

Just so its clear, you want to remove this piece of glass here.

(In Red)

LOL

glass.jpg

-FHM

:lol: yup - that's the piece I was on about :blush: (still a newbie to all this m8 & just want to make sure I don't come home from work one day & find my wife & kids wading through the hallway lol). I take it it's just a case of getting a stanley blade on the silicon to remove the glass then?
Dan

:lol:

Yup. just cut away the silicon and the glass piece will come out.

You might need a little muscle, but it should come out nicely.

And no, this will not hurt the structure of the tank to the point of catastrophic failure.

:good:

-FHM

Thanks very much :good: that's put my mind at rest (for the time being lol).
Appreciate the help FHM :D
Dan

Most reactions

trending

Back