Advice Needed On What Bottom Fish To Get

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seaera

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've just started up my 10 gallon aquarium a week ago and is still cycling (obviously). I've got two white cloud minnows in it right now.
I'm obviously not ready to add my fish yet but am just planning for the future...I hope to add 5-6 neon tetras and also a bottom fish. My question is what type to get? A small catfish or ghost shrimp? Any thoughts? With my small tank, I would guess that I'd only have room to add one of those.
Also, if you have any advice on what stage to add the bottom fish that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
:)

ottos are probably the best choice but they are picky about water quality, so as long as your tank is cycled you should be fine. You could also go for a bronze/peppered cory.
The 2 wccm should be in a shoal though of at least 6, and they are sub tropical: keeping them at a high enough temp for neons will drastically shorten their lifespan. Shrimp is an option for you: ghost or japonica shrimp would be fine.

Shoot! I thought the white clouds would be compatible with the neons according to one of the charts that I looked at. I guess they are compatible temperment wise but not temperature wise. Who knew this stuff was so complicated? :/

Thanks for your suggestions on the algae eaters. I'll look into those options further.
Any other suggestions for compatible fish with the white clouds then if the neons aren't a great fit?

white clouds and ghost shrimp are a good combination.

White clouds, being subtropical, won't mix well with some of the common bottom feeders. I've heard that bronze cories are quite tolerant of lower temperatures.

white clouds and ghost shrimp are a good combination.

White clouds, being subtropical, won't mix well with some of the common bottom feeders. I've heard that bronze cories are quite tolerant of lower temperatures.

Actually, it's peppered cories, not bronze, that like lower temperatures. The problem is they are schooling fish, like all cories, so you'd need at least 3 which would pretty well fill that tank.

Still, you could probably squeeze in 3 peppereds, and then up the numbers of your WCM's to 5, if you do it slowly and are really careful with your water changes; maybe even add extra filtration, this being slightly overstocked. A temperature of about 20-22C should keep everybody happy.

Another option would be WCM's and some hillstream loaches if you can get hold of them.

Shrimps are another good option, but you would need to check what minimum temperature they need as WCM's shouldn't really have to go above 22C.

Another option would be simply to stick with the WCM's and slowly up their numbers to about 8-10. You do need more than once the tank is cycled as they are schooling fish, and need the numbers so as not to get stressed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back