Advice for new 55g tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You do not want blasting sand or any other industrial sand for some substrate fish. It is angular (look at it under a magnifying glass) and that equates with rough. I don't know what substrate fish you might be thinking of in a SE Asian aquascape, but loaches as one example would likely have problems with a rough sand.

You do not want blasting sand or any other industrial sand for some substrate fish. It is angular (look at it under a magnifying glass) and that equates with rough. I don't know what substrate fish you might be thinking of in a SE Asian aquascape, but loaches as one example would likely have problems with a rough sand.

Thanks. What dark/black sand do you use/recommend?

I changed my tanks' substrate over to Quikrete Play Sand some 7-8 years back, on the advice of some members on a forum at the time. I researched into this product with the manufacturer, Quikrete, and was satisfied it was as safe as any sand could be. They manufacture it in two shades, one a natural buff mix, the other a dark grey mix; I have the latter which is what the local Home Depot stores carry, but I would use the buff if the grey was not here. Not all play sands are safe; Sakrete is another manufacturer of play sand in NA and they specifically state their play sand is not safe for an aquarium.

If I did not have access to Quikrete Play Sand(s), I would have selected an aquarium river sand. There are several brands, and provided the sand is inert (some is intended for harder water fish species and will increase GH/KH/pH). A buff or darkish hue mix is best, it is natural (just research photos and videos of tropical watercourses). They are obviously considerably more expensive, which is why I went with play sand once I had checked out the brand.

Was waiting for Byron to comment on his dislike of BDBS.
Byron is of the opinion that its not suitable for substrate fish which is fine, hes entitled to his opinion as is any one else.
I tend to follow more anecdotal evidence from people that have actually kept substrate fish on BDBS and from all the reports ive read videos ive watched and info ive gathered i havent found any reports of people even on this board reporting adverse effects from keeping substrate fish including corydora on BDBS. Just the opposite actually as majority of what ive read is that their substrate fish do well on BDBS dont show signs of being unwell or unhealthy or harmed by it. I have a Bolivian Ram in my tank Rams are earth eaters, ive had him for around 6 months now and hes yet to show any adverse effects from sifting through the bdbs 6months is a limited time but so far so good. Ive read reports from other fish keepers who have had corydoras on it for 5 years plus with no sign of adverse effects.
Id recommend BDBS to any one and having said that cant go wrong with play sand either as its safe though ive found it to be more messy than BDBS more prone to compacting than BDBS and pool filter sand and if one wants a black sand substrate BDBS is a lot less expensive then some of the commercial black sands or commercial silica black sands and play sand doesnt come in black,
BDBS pool filter and play sand are all about the same price, ive used them all as well as black aqua soil, commercial black " aquarium" sands and ive found BDBS to be just as good as any at a fraction of the price and perfectly healthy for my fish and really good for plants. One would think im a BDBS spokesman, maybe i should call them and see if they can give me a nickel everytime i plug them on here;) having said that good luck in whatever you choose.

Thank you both. It is nice to see the pros and cons of each substrate. I appreciate your feedback. I will do more research before I decide. If anyone else has sand substrate recommendations, please let me know.

I too would steer clear of BDBS as its a bit of a lottery. You local supplier may well use a source that is suitable for fish but has no restrictions on content or toxicity because of its intended use. Play sand in most countries has to be at least fit for human consumption and not contain dangerously sharp pieces given that the target market is quite likely to eat it or fall into it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back