Adverts in Seriously Fish profiles

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A comment in a recent post makes me wonder if people being confused by the ads in Seriously Fish.

Several months ago, orange boxes appeared scattered through the text of profiles. These boxes are not part of the profile, they are adverts for Amazon. This can cause confusion as they can appear to give different information from the profile. Here is an example

SF example.jpg

The SF profiles gives a minimum tank size as "base dimensions of at least 90 x 30 cm" (or 36 x 12 inches). But the advert mentions 81 litres which assumes a height of 30 cm (12 inches). It is an easy mistake - the orange boxes at first sight seem to be highlighting information.

Please be aware when researching fish on Seriously Fish that the information in these orange boxes should be ignored as they are merely links to Amazon not part of the text.

Last edited:
Huh, I always click on the link to see filter suitable for fish, thanks for pointing that out.

This is a good post by essjay. Another thing to keep in mind, is that the site (Seriously Fish, or this forum TFF, etc) has no direct control over the adverts you see. This is governed by the browsing habits of the individual using the site. In other words, you will see ads related to things you have browsed online, as your browsing is being tracked by every commercial site.

During the lockdown, I have searched a few things online that I would not normally if the stores had been open. I am pestered with adds for clothing and whatever products, here on TFF and SF and anywhere else. This is not TFF's fault, or SF's. These sites have costs and advertising covers them to avoid requiring member fees. I remind myself of that every time I log in to TFF, or click on a different post...waitng several seconds for the screen to come to a standstill after three or four flips due to advertising...it is a "necessary evil" of sorts.

Yep, I remember those. They are a little misleading...

But I always do extra research off of SF anyway, to get different opinions.

While we are talking about SF, they need to fix the Rummy nose tetra profile. The tank sides don't match up. @Byron said they need a lot more swimming room, at least a 3 foot tank.

I am pestered with adds for clothing and whatever products, here on TFF and SF and anywhere else. This is not TFF's fault, or SF's. These sites have costs and advertising covers them to avoid requiring member fees. I remind myself of that every time I log in to TFF, or click on a different post...waitng several seconds for the screen to come to a standstill after three or four flips due to advertising...it is a "necessary evil" of sorts.
I agree. But I also agree its not these sites fault that we see annoying adds. They do cost money to run.

The ads in the orange boxes on SF are not the kind based on browsing history - those can be blocked using an ad blocker. The orange boxes are there even with an ad blocker and a tracking cookie blocker. Without an ad blocker, there are a lot of browser based ads in addition to the orange boxes, so many that it is hard to find the text between the ads.

For me, the links in the orange boxes are all for UK Amazon. I don't know what members in other countries see if they click on the links.

The ads in the orange boxes on SF are not the kind based on browsing history - those can be blocked using an ad blocker. The orange boxes are there even with an ad blocker and a tracking cookie blocker. Without an ad blocker, there are a lot of browser based ads in addition to the orange boxes, so many that it is hard to find the text between the ads.

For me, the links in the orange boxes are all for UK Amazon. I don't know what members in other countries see if they click on the links.
I guess I have an add blocker, because I don't see that many. I see maybe 1-2 on every fish profile.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
While we are talking about SF, they need to fix the Rummy nose tetra profile. The tank sides don't match up. @Byron said they need a lot more swimming room, at least a 3 foot tank.

What are you looking at? Both profiles, Hemigrammus bleheri and H. rhodostomus have the correct tank length; here is the text for both which is identical:

This is a species that should be maintained in groups numbering 10 or preferably more, and its active swimming nature requires a tank length of 36 inches/90 cm minimum.

Ohh… Ok. So the "true" Rummy Nose Tetra profile is up to date? Sort of confusing with 3 different variations of rummy nose tetras.

Yes, it's always send me to UK Amazon filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back