Adverts in Seriously Fish profiles

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

In the screenshot of the profile in my first post, SF gives the footprint of the minimum size the fish should be kept in as 90 x 30 cm; it does not mention the height. The orange box uses the volume 81 litres and this canbe misinterpreted as SF saying this fish needs a tank of 81 litres volume but SF says no such thing. The volume in the orange box makes the assumption that a tank with the footprint given by SF is only 30 cm tall while many 90 cm tanks are taller than 30 cm.

For those of you who don't use metric, SF's minimum footprint is 36 x 12 inches; the ad's volume is 21.4 gallons, and a tank with SF's footprint could only be 12 inches tall to get that volume.

I used to have a tank with half as much volume again as the tank size in the ad (125 litres or 33 gallons) but it was only 80 cm/31.5 inches long. This tank was not long enough for the species in the profile but the ad implies it was more than big enough for the fish. It is in fact just an ad for a filter for an 81 litre tank, not the volume of a tank needed by the species in this profile.

Yes, a lot of the ads do contain the correct information, but some don't. This is why we need to look only at the information in SF's own text so we don't get caught out.

Yes, a lot of the ads do contain the correct information, but some don't. This is why we need to look only at the information in SF's own text so we don't get caught out.
Seriously fish is one of the better sites, but there are errors such as that. There can be errors in the text too, which I think should be pointed out. Until recently, the neon tetra temperature they gave was too high a value. Byron had it corrected thankfully. I still think the German blue ram temp is wrong too, it should read as 27-30 degrees rather than 26-30.

Seriously fish is one of the better sites, but there are errors such as that. There can be errors in the text too, which I think should be pointed out. Until recently, the neon tetra temperature they gave was too high a value. Byron had it corrected thankfully. I still think the German blue ram temp is wrong too, it should read as 27-30 degrees rather than 26-30.

That M. ramirezi temperature range error came up a short time back and I thought it had been corrected...anyway, it has now.

Reactions: Bub
I always thought SF put them there. Guess not!

Someone put them there, whether it was the consent of SF we can never know.

I'm in the UK and the links take me to Amazon.co.uk. Those of you in other countries, where do the links in the orange boxes take you?

I discussed this with Duncan the SF site admin. The bottom line is that this advertising pays for SF's existence. I never read these, as on principle I do not read any adds appearing on my PC screen. I think it is quite obvious where the SF text data ends and where the ad occurs, particularly as these ads are in orange/brownish boxes. @essjay explained this very well initially, and all of us can use common sense and work around them. The alternative of "user pay" would be prohibitive for most aquarists. Losing such an important resource that really has no equal is not a viable alternative.

@Byron is right. Sites like SF need adverts to 'keep them alive'. They need some way of paying for their site, and these type of adverts do just that.

I did wonder if the orange box ads were a sort of sponsorship deal as they all link to the same site. They are nothing like the ads that are based on browsing history.

There is not a problem where they use the same information as the profile, it's just sometimes the info is misleading, such as extrapolating a tank volume where SF only gives footprint dimensions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back