Advert for another forum removed - Stocking Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gourami4eva

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wondered what people's experiences were using name removed as a stocking guide?

I've got a 125 litre tank and ideally want to stock it with the following

5 Honey Gourami
8 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
6 Dwarf Chain Loaches

According to name removed I am 97% stocked but I wondered if I could squeeze anymore dwarf neon rainbowfish in as obviously the more the merrier. I should hopefully be buying some on Friday so want to make sure I get the right amount. Also if I can add anymore fish to this that would be great, not sure how the swimming levels work out.

What's anyone's thoughts?

Fluval 125
80cm x 35cm (D) x 45cm (H)
Fluval U3 Filter

To be honest, that particular site is very poor to be used to any practical level at all.

There are so many variables when it comes to stocking tanks, this site (as well as other stocking sites) does not take into account and therefore is simply is not to be relied upon.

This Forum actually blocks links that particular site because we feel the results are far too simplistic to be useful. 

Thanks for your reply. Yes I didn't realise that it would be blocked but couldn't change the subject line afterwards.

Edit: what do you think about my stocking?

it can be used i use it myself but you have to understand allot of different things like about size restrictions to the tank dimensions specialtys about the fish swin levels aggresion ( it does say about aggresion but its more deep than simply this fish will attack this fish)

gourami4eva said:
Hi,

I wondered what people's experiences were using name removed as a stocking guide?

I've got a 125 litre tank and ideally want to stock it with the following

5 Honey Gourami
8 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
6 Dwarf Chain Loaches

According to name removed I am 97% stocked but I wondered if I could squeeze anymore dwarf neon rainbowfish in as obviously the more the merrier. I should hopefully be buying some on Friday so want to make sure I get the right amount. Also if I can add anymore fish to this that would be great, not sure how the swimming levels work out.

What's anyone's thoughts?

Fluval 125
80cm x 35cm (D) x 45cm (H)
Fluval U3 Filter

That site is intentionally very conservative. It will only take at most 60% of your total filter capabilities. It also doesn't fully account for the behaviors of fish.

By following proper husbandry methods it's possible to overstock. Also things like plants can have a large effect on your potential bio-load capabilities 

My tank is 110% overstocked according to that site. I have a pretty obsessive personality and I test my water everyday and do my 2 x weekly water changes and I haven't had any trouble.

@Ch4rlie - While that site may be overly simplistic in regards to the behaviors of fish & stocking capabilities, I think it is still eons better than the inch per gallon stocking rules.
I'm still pretty new to the hobby and found that site to be very useful in regards to it's ability to give you a rough estimate of filtering capabilities and temperature rules. It also has a very good species compatibility guide. I always put my stocking in that site to compare temps & any behavior conflicts and then follow up with my own research. 

What's maddening about this whole hobby is the general lack direction. The developer of that tool constantly solicits responses from the community about fish & how to improve his tool, but it is mostly met with disregard. Until there's some sort of established 'go to' tool for this hobby I expect we'll never get over improper stocking or the stigmas that follow.

To further complicate issues, you've got a generation of new aquarists coming into the hobby who are used to technology and the internet. When starting I spent a great deal of time looking for software/apps/websites with some sort of stocking calculators. I found very little information & the information I did find was so split reviews wise that there's no way to make heads or tales of it.

My suggestion would be to reach out to the developer and use the power of this community to improve his tool instead of ostracizing it.

I would only have one or two gourami. Honey gourami are fairly peaceful, but you don't want to have so much competition in the top layer in a small tank. Seriouslyfish recommends 60x30x30 as the minimum for a school of these rainbows so you might be able to add a few more, but you've also got just above the minimum for the loaches. I would remove the loaches from the stocking, add a few more rainbows, and get one or two bristlenose plecos. Your stocking is very tight as it is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back