Adult amano with neocaridina ???

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi
Can you put a baby neocaridina in with one adult amano or will the adult eat the baby? Thanks so much in advance!

I had an awesome tank when I first started keeping aquatic creatures. It only had neos and amanos, the neos had plenty of babies and I don't remember ever seeing an amano chasing or eating a baby. I did see a couple times that an amano was picking a snail out of a shell, I don't know if the snail was already dead or if it killed it. Otherwise, I have never seen amano's harming other creatures.

If it's not a true amano, then I would not put anything with it, I wouldn't even keep it. There are plenty of aggressive shrimp that looks similar to amanos but are actually not. They have larger front Pinchers and their patterns are a little bit different, but otherwise they look exactly like a amanos.

Just my two cents!

I was trying to find the article I read about a year and a half ago on it. Apparently, there are certain types of shrimp that look just like amanos but they have different coloring and larger pinchers and they can be aggressive.. I couldn't find it

Google photos of Macrobrachium shrimps. Those are the long arm shrimps. Then look at photos of amanos. The difference is obvious when you see them side by side.

Reactions: Bub
Its ghost shrimp that Machrobrachium look similar to, not amano shrimp. Amanos are scavengers, so they shouldn't be capable of catching and eating a healthy neo. But they will snatch one if its on the way out. I've had them together and they do great. Amanos can be a bit bossy at times though, they make sure that they are the first to get food and will wrench it away from other shrimp if needed. Otherwise they are great.

Well I bought more shrimp on ebay and I received the five they sold but I have also received a baby but I don't want to put the baby in the tube one as its hard to see and there fore mi
Google photos of Macrobrachium shrimps. Those are the long arm shrimps. Then look at photos of amanos. The difference is obvious when you see them side by side.

mines definitely amano having googled them, ive put the baby neo into a separate aquarium

I never in a kerjillian years would have thought I would like having shrimp.

I got one Amano, just for fun and to have a different "easy care" thing besides snails.
That little scamp! He was so adorable...personalty galore!!!
I would sneak it little bites of bloodworm.
Eventually it even got to recognize the routine. I got it a friend. They are two peas in a pod . Hard to see, they kinda blend in.
They get the prettiest bronzy stripe down their back. My little sweeties!
20200227_233355.jpg

Hi

I wasn't aware that shrimp ate live creatures such as bloodworm? If something do bloodworm help or hinder tank environments?

Hi

I wasn't aware that shrimp ate live creatures such as bloodworm? If something do bloodworm help or hinder tank environments?
Well, I didn't I intentionally give it a worm at first. Then I noticed the little scamp had gotten a bit of one and literally "scampered" off with it.

I don't feed live bloodworms, or dried.
I feed frozen bloodworms. After they are thawed, of course !

Hi

Also, to answer your question,
As long as they are consumed they shouldn't hurt your tank. BUT you have to be careful and not overfeed. Any leftovers need to be removed or else...well you know, eewww!

I dropped in my aquarium a dried algea piece and one of the shrimp got it and then rather fiercely the other one went up to it and stole it from the shrimp and went off with it quite fast. The first shrimp found another one to eat.

Bloodworms are great to feed shrimp at times. The protein is great for them, especially when it comes to breeding. Amano larvae won't survive in freshwater of course. Veggies are also great to feed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back