FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've been really missing our old molly trio:

DSCF3615.JPG

And mum had been complaining about the 57g in the living room "having no fish in it" before, lol. It has fish, but nearly all bottom dwellers, just a few visibly elderly tetra and a platy as mid-water swimmers. The plecos hide so well in the bogwood that you only see them at mealtimes, there are a good number of corydora (sterbai, bronze and black Venezeulan), then a single male platy, one cardinal, one black neon and three glowlight tetra.

So when I spotted someone looking to clear the last of their livebearers, I couldn't resist. He said there were a pair of mollies )which I could see where black with silver and gold dappling, my favourite kind of molly), eight male guppies, and a load of small fry.

Will try to get some decent photos later. But have them in a QT right now, and I love the adult molly pair, they're gorgeous fish. The fry that I assumed were guppy fry are actually molly fry, some look very white too, so I'm excited to see how they turn out. Ten male guppies - and one poor female guppy! I got her out of there, since she had a conga line of males behind her. I do wonder how long he's had that single female in there with ten males! She seems in good shape though.

Just one that I don't like the look of. One of the males was head down, tail up when I first saw them in the travel tub, and he has some kind of swim bladder issue. Looks fine other than that, I honestly get the impression that it's a weaker/slightly deformed one that just isn't very strong or has something a bit off with his swim bladder. I don't get the impression of illness or disease from him or any of the others, but will obviously be keeping them QTed, and might worm them, just to be safe.

Last edited:
I love the blue shining on its body. This blue is a wild trait.

I miss those fish so much! Some of the offspring had more blue scaling than others, it really was beautiful! And hard to capture on camera. I didn't know it was a wild trait!
All of these photos are of those old trio that have since passed away. They lived for at least eight years, got to really good size, and you can see they had a lot of nice babies too!

I'm still hopeful that I'll find some from that original line we had someday. Never had any deformities or health problems, they were really hardy. Makes sense if they were closer to wild type.

DSCF3614.JPG
DSCF1494.JPG
DSCF1474.JPG
DSCF1480.JPG

This photo below, to give you an idea of their size, this is a 57g tank, and you can see two of the trio dwarfing the gold dust and yellow mollies, which were average shop size in this photo. Do mollies just continue growing as they age? Because these were an easy four inches, I think.
DSCF1661.JPG
I wish I'd kept more off the offspring. I did keep a young trio, but was gutted when I lost them in a tank crash. These three really big, orginal trio passed away naturally from old age, but I was gutted to lose that line. Gave hundreds of their offspring to the store over the years though, so I know their line is still somewhere out there in Bristol!

These new ones don't seem to have the blue, sadly. The female mostly black with white speckles, the male black with white and some gold speckles. Still really pretty, but the gold is definitely more common than the blue. I like the shape and size of the adult mollies too, hopeful for their offspring that are just colouring up now.

Still trying to get non-blurry photos of the new fish!

That's close to the old marble molly type in colours if not in shape, the one that caught my eye when I was 8.

Yes, the blue shine is a wild trait. Also a golden shine is a wild trait in mollies.
I've written an article about wild traits in livebearer breeding forms. It was published in this February issue of Poecilia news in our country.

That's close to the old marble molly type in colours if not in shape, the one that caught my eye when I was 8.

I think I'm biased because I inherited that trio of black and dappled mollies from dad's tank, but I've always had a soft spot for them since then. They're just great fish! Greedy little guys, but they cruise around the tank, that trio would eat frozen food from my hand, swimming right into my palm.

They were great for eating any unwanted creepy crawlies too... I used some of the younger mollies to "clean" some pond weed for me to make sure there were no hydra or anything, since I needed some hornwort and elodea from the pond, but wanted it to be safe for shrimp and fry. A few days in a tank with the mollies in hunting mode, and I was sure there were no pests left on it!

@emeraldking I think this new male might have some blue in him, it's hard to tell, he definitely has some gold on one side. Do you have any good articles I can read to learn more about wild mollies? And the different types of aquarium mollies? I'd really like to learn more, but from a reliable source, and who better than you to get that info from? :D

I've written an article about wild traits in livebearer breeding forms. It was published in this February issue of Poecilia news in our country.

@emeraldking I think this new male might have some blue in him, it's hard to tell, he definitely has some gold on one side. Do you have any good articles I can read to learn more about wild mollies? And the different types of aquarium mollies? I'd really like to learn more, but from a reliable source, and who better than you to get that info from? :D

Haha, we both posted this at the same time! Is that an article I can access and read, by any chance? Please? :D:flowers:

Haha, we both posted this at the same time! Is that an article I can access and read, by any chance? Please? :D:flowers:
Two hearts, one mind...

I've also written something about it on my website. I just gave you the link. The article I wrote for Poecilia news will also be published in the September issue of the national german livebearer magazine "Viviparos".

Two hearts, one mind...

I've also written something about it on my website. I just gave you the link. The article I wrote for Poecilia news will also be published in the September issue of the national german livebearer magazine "Viviparos".

I will definitely read what I can! I did take German for a couple of years in school, many, many years ago. I can remember how to say "I have long, brown, wavy hair" and "I like playing badminton" in German, and that's about it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back