Adf's foot is eaten away...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have had my ADF's for a few weeks now and all has been well.

All of a sudden, I noticed one's leg appeared broken, and he wasn;t using it. Upon further inspection, his foot had been eaten awya, everything except the "toes" and claws. The skin in between them is gone... ????

So anway, he was in a tank with a betta that died of columnaris. The frog was removed right afgter I noticed the betta had a problem, and the betta died almost a week ago. They are still in a quarentine 1g as I have been to lazy to fight with them to put them nack.

The substrate in this quarentine tank is the glass dishes you use in fish bowls. They are quite large. Could this have something to do with it?

I have no idea about the parameters, my test kit went bad. Sorry...

How can I treat him? I know mela fix and things safe for fish are bad for frogs, so what to do? He looks and acts as if hes fine, aside from the injury, so I'm wondering whats the deal...

Any help, suggestions appreciated!

Melafix and pima fix are completely fine to use on frogs, in fact it works wonders on bacterial infections and/or fungal infections.
I would try treating your Q with both of these meds.
My clawed frog escaped awhile back and my cat got it.
scratched its back left leg badly and bit its right back leg.
Treated the tank for 8 days and hes completely healed as of today.
Still treating the tank, and will do so for another week just to make sure all is fine.
As for what caused this problem, not sure, it may od been a bacterial problem, but it kinda sound to me like the betta make have bitten your ADF.
Is that a possibility?

no, the betta didn't do it b/c this happened after the betta died. I'll have to go get some pima fix, but i have mela so i'll usew that tonight. Thankyou!

I have a ADF (Stumpy) that streaded his foot in one of my filters, I just let is heal on it's own, he been with us now for well over a year, and he does great.

I do worry about using meds, cos I never shore if my frogs and newt are ok with them.

I will suggest lower the water level in his tank so he does'nt have to go far for air, and try and make shore he getting plenty of food. After abit of TLC he should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back