ADF Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rythmyc

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if the frogs I'm getting are bad to begin with, or if it's something I'm doing wrong. I currently have one that has been around for months. I try to get him companions, but they don't last more than a couple days.

My water parameters are
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
5 Nitrates
78 degrees
7.4 pH

Anytime I add another frog they seem to get a film on them, start acting lethargic, and eventually give up. In the store they are very active and look healthy.

The current frog has no film, shows no signs of sickness. Acts and eats normally on a diet of bloodworms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Do you make sure they eat least 2 bloodworms a day? Theyre such finicky eaters that they end of starving to death if you dont wave the food directly infront of them. Live foods are best

Do you make sure they eat least 2 bloodworms a day? Theyre such finicky eaters that they end of starving to death if you dont wave the food directly infront of them. Live foods are best
I haven't actually made sure they eat honestly. The one we have now has lived without watching and making sure he's eating. Would they die after just 2 days from starvation though?

Hmmm.Im assuming they die of stress and the angelfish chasing them.
Angelfish? Are you sure you're in the correct thread? Lol. The ADF are in a tank by themselves.

It's a 10 long, currently only 1 lonely ADF, and any additions die within 2-3 days

hmmm ok ok.So if this one has lived longer I am assuming a couple things.You dechlorinate your water,You change water weekly.I am then goanna say the others have died of stress.I am also assuming you acclimate them correctly.

hmmm ok ok.So if this one has lived longer I am assuming a couple things.You dechlorinate your water,You change water weekly.I am then goanna say the others have died of stress.I am also assuming you acclimate them correctly.
Correct, I acclimate using my own tank water added to the bag over the course of 1.5-2 hours. While floating the bag.

I have a 55 Gallon tank I keep fish in, and get them from the same LFS. Are ADF really that sensitive compared to fish? Is there something I could be doing to help prevent this?

Oh I must add that I do not add the bag water to the tank. I net them out and lightly place them in like I would fish

ADF are not sensitive. I used to keep them in tap water without dechlorination, no heating, no filter and did not pay any attention to water parameters. Of course now i know better and would not do this.

I cannot say why the new ones died so quickly unless they were not immersed in water during transport or could not swim up for air.

You may have to use chopsticks to feed your ADF or buy long tweezers which are a bit costly. But i found live food was best. You maybe able to culture your own live daphnia to feed it if it will accept daphnia. If not then maybe research what kind of worms you can easily culture. Otherwise patiently making sure it eats at least two bloodworms a day or every two days is a must

ADF are not sensitive. I used to keep them in tap water without dechlorination, no heating, no filter and did not pay any attention to water parameters. Of course now i know better and would not do this.

I cannot say why the new ones died so quickly unless they were not immersed in water during transport or could not swim up for air.

You may have to use chopsticks to feed your ADF or buy long tweezers which are a bit costly. But i found live food was best. You maybe able to culture your own live daphnia to feed it if it will accept daphnia. If not then maybe research what kind of worms you can easily culture. Otherwise patiently making sure it eats at least two bloodworms a day or every two days is a must
I'm not sure, I just hate to buy more only to watch them suffer helplessly. I was hoping it was something I'm doing wrong, and could correct. The more I hear, the more prone I'm to believe is was stress related / lack of food. I'll let my wife know the suggestions and see if she's willing to go that far, or give up on her ADF tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back