ADF - foot and leg issue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jacques

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a male ADF who has been having an issue with his right leg for the past few weeks. Here's some info on him and the tank:
- he is approximately 3 years old
- lives with 3 female ADF, a mystery snail, and 3 small harlequin rasboras
- planted 10 gallon tank with marina slim 20 external filter, an air stone, a heater
- temperature maintained around 25C

Initially, an injury to one toe on his right foot appeared. The webbing was torn and the toe was red, but there didn't appear to be any swelling. During this time I changed the water more frequently and added some probiotic bacteria treatment as well as prime.

The injury appeared to be healing, with lessening redness, and he remained active, eating, was singing, and occasionally attempted mating. However, a few days ago I noticed a white fuzziness to the toe and noticed that his lower leg was a bit swollen. I've since started 20% water changes daily, adding prime and the probiotic treatment each time. The white fuzz went away, but I then noticed a small bubble on his lower leg. Today, the bubble has "popped" and there's a white spot. His leg is still swollen, and now he's been hanging out at the surface.

I live in Canada so there's limited treatments and medicines I can get. I've called my local LFS and they recommended methylene green if the current course of treatment doesn't work.

Please help my boy!

Attachments

• IMG-20210722-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210722-WA0000.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210722_131911.jpg
    20210722_131911.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210722_131806.jpg
    20210722_131806.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210722_131814.jpg
    20210722_131814.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210722_131825.jpg
    20210722_131825.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 93
looks like a bacterial infection in his foot and leg.

I live in Canada so there's limited treatments and medicines I can get. I've called my local LFS and they recommended methylene green if the current course of treatment doesn't work.
Methylene Blue or Malachite Green?

Methylene Blue is reasonably safe but kills all types of bacteria including filter bacteria. It also stains silicon and other items blue. If you use this product, do it in a bare container with an airstone, and not in the filtered tank.

Malachite Green is used to kill external protozoan parasites and will not do anything to a bacterial infection. It is also a carcinogen (causes cancer) and should be handled with care.

Triple sulpha or Tri sulpha might be safe to use as well. It kills bacteria and fungus and is safe for scaleless fishes but I haven't used it on frogs. But if I had no other options, it would be one you could try.

looks like a bacterial infection in his foot and leg.

Methylene Blue or Malachite Green?

Methylene Blue is reasonably safe but kills all types of bacteria including filter bacteria. It also stains silicon and other items blue. If you use this product, do it in a bare container with an airstone, and not in the filtered tank.

Malachite Green is used to kill external protozoan parasites and will not do anything to a bacterial infection. It is also a carcinogen (causes cancer) and should be handled with care.

Triple sulpha or Tri sulpha might be safe to use as well. It kills bacteria and fungus and is safe for scaleless fishes but I haven't used it on frogs. But if I had no other options, it would be one you could try.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I've obviously mixed up the name so I'll have to double-check which one was recommended. I'll try to see if I can get Tri Sulpha here. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back