Additions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aaron Muth

Reaction score
I was just wandering what plants, rocks, or fish should I add into my 37 gallon tanks? Right now I have 1 khuli loach, 5 rainbows I canā€™t remember the name of, 3 pearl danios, 3 Cory cats, 2 rams, 2 ottoā€™s, and three amono shrimp. I plan on getting a few cherry shrimp in the future.

Duckweed is a good plant to grow in tanks with rainbowfish. The rainbows eat it as part of their diet and it helps fight off diseases.

Rainbowfish will eat small shrimp so have lots of Java Moss in the tank for the shrimp to hide in.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

You can make plastic loops out of airline and a joiner and put the Water Sprite or Duckweed into the loop. It will help keep them separate.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.

I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

------------------------
If you post a picture of the tank and rainbowfish, I should be able to ID the fish and we can offer ideas on the tank.

Duckweed is a good plant to grow in tanks with rainbowfish. The rainbows eat it as part of their diet and it helps fight off diseases.

Rainbowfish will eat small shrimp so have lots of Java Moss in the tank for the shrimp to hide in.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

You can make plastic loops out of airline and a joiner and put the Water Sprite or Duckweed into the loop. It will help keep them separate.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.

I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

------------------------
If you post a picture of the tank and rainbowfish, I should be able to ID the fish and we can offer ideas on the tank.
Iā€™ll try but it said earlier the file size was too big.

I think I got some photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

------------------------
The fish are Celebes rainbows.
They require hard alkaline water and preferably with a bit of salt.
They do not need Duckweed in their diet but will pick at algae.
They do best in groups of 8 or more.

If you get more of them, quarantine any new fish for at least 2 weeks before adding them to your tank. They either do well when first imported, or they die. Quarantining them for a few weeks will stop them killing the ones you have in your main tank.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

------------------------
The fish are Celebes rainbows.
They require hard alkaline water and preferably with a bit of salt.
They do not need Duckweed in their diet but will pick at algae.
They do best in groups of 8 or more.

If you get more of them, quarantine any new fish for at least 2 weeks before adding them to your tank. They either do well when first imported, or they die. Quarantining them for a few weeks will stop them killing the ones you have in your main tank.
Thank you.

Forgot to add, you need a picture on the back of the tank. Yo can buy aquarium backings from pet shops or use a piece of coloured card, plastic bin liner, newspaper. Basically anything and just sticky tape it to the outside of the glass on the back. The backing will make the fish feel more secure.

Forgot to add, you need a picture on the back of the tank. Yo can buy aquarium backings from pet shops or use a piece of coloured card, plastic bin liner, newspaper. Basically anything and just sticky tape it to the outside of the glass on the back. The backing will make the fish feel more secure.
Any color that suits fish the best? I know black really contrasts well with fish and plants.

Dark colours tend to be better (black, blue or green).

I use black backings for most tanks, but use blue backings on tanks that have black fish in.

Nice tank! You should consider entering the next tank of the month contest. The next one starts at the beginning of May.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back