FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Current inhabitants:

1 Channa Bleheri (2")
1 Polypterus Senegalus (3")

Any cool oddballs or predators to add to this tank? I was thinking maybe a peacock spiney eel, think that'd work out?

P.T.

Phantom Thief said:
I've also been thinking maybe a RTBS?
Sorry, no. far too big. There's not really onything else 'odd' that will go in there. Eveything.......
  1. is far too big or...
  2. is far too small and would get eaten by current inhabitants or...
  3. is the right sort of size, but is brackish

SirMinion said:
Phantom Thief said:
I've also been thinking maybe a RTBS?
Sorry, no. far too big. There's not really onything else 'odd' that will go in there. Eveything.......
  1. is far too big or...
  2. is far too small and would get eaten by current inhabitants or...
  3. is the right sort of size, but is brackish
Thats what i seem to have realised too :(

P.T.

A full sized one (7-8") would be ok with the bichir, but how big does the snakehead get? Ctenopoma acutirostre (Spotted clibing perch, Leopard bushfish) eat most foods when they settle in (My little ones eat flakes and pellets, along with other foods) These fish are like Giant leaf fish that aren't picky :p

EDIT: I've just searched the snakehead's size, I've seen from7-8 inches, there is hope for another fish after all! :)

Yep, it's a dwarf snakehead, among the smallest snakeheads in the world. Relatively speaking, it is peaceful. But still not the average guppy!

Ok, i'll look around for a large climbing perch then.

P.T.

careful, i heard that the spotted climbing perch should be a 55 gal. but if it can go in a 30, maybe i could get one.... wouldnt your snakehead kill it anyway though?

This is a good size tank for a Ctenopoma acutirostre, and it gets to the the same size of his snakehead, which he said wasn't too aggressive. Ctenopomas can take care of themselves, and hide pretty well when they want to :D

dwarfs, i was thinking about getting one.... do you think one could go in a 36 in. long hex front 33 gal?? the fish in the tank now are 2 ornate rainbows 1 dwarf neon blue rainbow, 1 australian rainbow, 2 ADF's, 1 bolivian ram, and one betta. i wanted to get some ottos and 3 more ornate rainbows. the problem is , my water is moderatly hard.... it takes about 10 drops and ph is around 7.2

Some of your smaller fish would be in danger, because Ctenopoma acutirostre like to eat live fish, and they get 8" so your smaller rainbows and otos wouldn't be very happy. I keep mine in neutral PH and they are fine, although this link says that they like a soft acidic PH. There are smaller ctenopoma, but I'm not dure if they are available to the aquarium trade.

I just found these, another, smaller ctenopoma, Ctenopoma ansorgii
Keep your eyes open for one if your interested. I believe they max out at 3 inches :D

If you are in the US, oddballfish.com has them for sale :)

No, the snakehead's are very aggressive, it's just the larger species such as redlines. You could put a peacock spiny eel in there, they usually only get to around 8", or you could put in a zig-zag spiny eel in there, which only reaches 6" or so. I wouldn't a climbing perch, they wouldn't do too well in a tank of that size, a 55 gallon or larger would be much better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back