Adding wood straight to the tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I'm setting up a new 2 foot shallow tank and I want to add wood straight to the tank but I've only ever pre-soaked them in the past. I've got some Seachem Purigen to go in the filter that I think should deal with the bulk of the tannins and I'm going to be doing a lot of water changes early on. I know I'll likely have to weigh the wood down for a a while with rocks which is fine.

Has anyone else done this before? Did you notice any ill effects?

Wills

I never presoak wood and have used Purigen for its normal use and to remove tannins and have no issues whatsoever...not even any of that annoying white "fluff" or misbehaving wood that refuses to sink

Done it this way with Mopani, Spider and basic bogwooks and no problems.

I never presoak wood and have used Purigen for its normal use and to remove tannins and have no issues whatsoever...not even any of that annoying white "fluff" or misbehaving wood that refuses to sink

Done it this way with Mopani, Spider and basic bogwooks and no problems.
Ah brilliant! The tub I've got is quite small but its rated for 1000 gallons and the tank is only 8 so it feels like I would need like a tea spoons worth? But is it possible to overdose Purigen?

Wills

Ah brilliant! The tub I've got is quite small but its rated for 1000 gallons and the tank is only 8 so it feels like I would need like a tea spoons worth? But is it possible to overdose Purigen?

Wills
I have to admit that I have not used the tubs of Purigen and only used the pre-netted 100ml version - one slipped into the top of the filter, job done - and that was on the 60-70 litre aquariums. Not needed to use it on the 200 litre as yet but I do have a pack in the fishbits cupboard just incase.

I have to admit that I have not used the tubs of Purigen and only used the pre-netted 100ml version - one slipped into the top of the filter, job done - and that was on the 60-70 litre aquariums. Not needed to use it on the 200 litre as yet but I do have a pack in the fishbits cupboard just incase.
I've not seen the pre prepared ones I got a baked bean tin sized tub and a mesh bag.

I found this on Seachems website https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...se Seachem Purigen®?,build up in the aquarium.

So maybe not to put too much in but I need to do a bit of maths!

Wills

I've not seen the pre prepared ones I got a baked bean tin sized tub and a mesh bag.

I found this on Seachems website https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038357693-FAQ-Is-it-possible-to-overdose-Seachem-Purigen-#:~:text=Follow-,FAQ: Is it possible to overdose Seachem Purigen®?,build up in the aquarium.

So maybe not to put too much in but I need to do a bit of maths!

Wills

I am not that great at doing my own mesh bag filling...usually spill half of it :lol:

I've picked up a lot of nice hardwood pieces and soaked them outside simply because they are so buoyant. I have on occasion, especially when I used to have Peckoltia sp catfish, added them right in and waited the 6 months for them to sink. I never use purigen - I like tannins.

I'm only maybe a quarter hippy in fishkeeping - I use purified chemical mixes to fight parasites, as well as 'big pharma" dewormers, etc. I don't use antibiotics, and the only Seachem product I've ever bought is my brand new bottle of dechlorinator. It smells like teen spirit, if the teens in question had been on a boiled egg eating binge.

I only ever pre soak wood I find if iv bought it from a store I tend to just dump it in the tank , iv never really had any tannins leach from wood , well no visual effects happens to the water which iv always been a little disappointed about as I wouldn’t mind a mild black water effect

I really like blackwater tanks and would like to try one one day but I'm looking at harderwater fish so dont want the lower perams that go with it.

Wills

Yeah, I've used "fresh" wood too. I just try to make sure it's dead first. We have a spot in our canyon where driftwood piles up every spring, then bleaches in the sun all summer, so I usually go up there and find some good pieces. Never used purigen. But even when using fresh juniper logs, which continue to stain my water a year later, I've never noticed a lowering of GH or pH. Maybe that's a myth? Or maybe I'm just lucky?

Yeah, I've used "fresh" wood too. I just try to make sure it's dead first. We have a spot in our canyon where driftwood piles up every spring, then bleaches in the sun all summer, so I usually go up there and find some good pieces. Never used purigen. But even when using fresh juniper logs, which continue to stain my water a year later, I've never noticed a lowering of GH or pH. Maybe that's a myth? Or maybe I'm just lucky?
This is redmoore from an LFS :) Never foraged for hardscape, not found the right places really. I always thought tannins from driftwood lowered ph and gh - wonder if you have a high kh that stops it from dipping?

Wills

No, KH is usually 4 degrees or so. We have weird water: Extremely soft GH and KH, but with a pH usually around 8 or 9. So maybe that's part of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back