Adding White Skirts and Serpae to Blackskirts tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rookiefishguy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I currently have a tall 30g with the following (ammonia 0.00, nitrites 0.00, nitrates 0.20ish currently, run water changes weekly if not more frequent):

6 julii cories (love these)
6 glo danios
7 black skirt tetras
2 mystery snails (thinking about moving one into a 10g I have so that is possible).

I have a 10g that currently has 2 white skirt tetras and 2 serpae tetras that are the last of their schools sadly. Was wondering if it was possible for me to add them to my 30g so that i can use that 10g for a new set up.

I've heard white skirts will "blend in" with the black skirts no problem but wanted to confirm that. according to http://www.aqadvisor.com, this would put my tank's stocking levels at 87% (just the white skirts added).

I fear adding the 2 serpaes may be troublesome so if thats the case i may just keep them in the 10g and see if i can make a small school in that tank of just serpaes. I tested the calculator on that site (out of curiosity) and i would be at 100% stocking which i assume means i'd be doing water changes at least twice a week (which is fine by me) but wanted to get other takes!

Sorry for the novel I wrote above :)

Id say you are pretty stocked in the 30 but where else can these guys go lol

The white skirts will be fine with the black skirts, but serpae can be nasty if not kept in larger numbers so I cant say it'd be the greatest of ideas to keep them as they are but also not good to add another schooling species to this tank.

If they become nippy and aggressive, perhaps look for a home for them with other serpae

With Serpae, if either one is a male, they need a bigger number of themselves to fight out the hierarchy. With low numbers, this aggression tends to move outside of their group and other fish get the brunt of it and I'd expect to find some nipped fins

yeah I'm leaning on only adding the white skirts since that will be less stressful and they should all get along.

I'd also prefer to not give the Serpae back to the petco by me because i've heard they would be as good as dead if I did so. but I also worry about buying more Serpae so they can have a "small school" in the 10g, is that something i can get away with?

wanted to give an update here, added the white skirts and there was definitely a bit of bickering at first, but now they've camouflaged into the school of black skirts. kind of funny to look at actually.

As for the serpaes, I may have found a friend who's interested in making a school of them so hopefully they will be taken care of

This is a good update!

Yeah skirts will bicker when first added and things change, but it settles down once the hierarchy is solved among them. Normal behavior with skirts

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back