Adding Sphagnum Moss to a Betta Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dpinkert97

Reaction score
Hello, all! I've been reading about how to set up an optimal tank for a betta fish, and came across the suggestion to add tannins to the water. My question is this: Is Sphagnum moss which is labeled as "organic" aquarium-safe? If so, how would I go about introducing the moss to the tank, and is there anything I should be careful to monitor after doing so? Thanks! (Possibly worth noting: I just did a water cycle earlier today as I have a heater in my tank, and so the water naturally evaporates slowly.)

I agree.

Cycling is the process of growing beneficial bacteria; what you describe is either a water change or topping up if you added water without taking any out first.

Spaghnum moss is dead, true, but it is a water altering botanical. The tannins added are minimal, taking the water to an unattractive pale yellow colour. But it will reduce the hardness of the water, and lower pH.
The main negative (I use it for fish that breed in it) is its tendency to harbour any velvet parasites that around present. They seem to love the environment it offers.

Since fancy Bettas have vulnerable unnaturally sized fins that tend to trap pathogens, I wouldn't use it. With short-finned wild Bettas, I have used it effectively.

Most reactions

Back