adding new substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
can i wash the gravel with regular tap water, or should i condition the water first (i dont have an established tank which i can take water from)

you can rinse it under tap water. The only case in which you should use tank water would be to keep the bacteria from dying. In your case there is no bacteria on the substrate and tap water will be fine. I used a spagetti strainer :)

k thx :) i just wasnt sure because my dechlorinator says it also removes harmful chemicals from the water, and i want to make sure chemicals from the water and gravel dont harm my fish :)

If you're worried about chlorines left in the gravel, just give it a last rinse in a bit of conditoned water to get out any left overs :D

IF you are doing a planted tank it is best to put a layer of unwashed gravel in first and then top it off with a layer of washed gravel,this way you will not have washed away all the essential nutrients and minerals that plants need to grow.

Catfish - would you reccomend - for a 100l with a handful of plants - a leterite gravel mix (or something else similar) or just fine gravel and add aquarium fertilizer?
Thanks.
C

ps- sorry for the hijak cutechic.

i have to say that for the amount of water needed to get rid of the dust its not reasonable to expect to use tank water to clean it. i allways clean mine with tap but i allways add it a while before the tank is expected to be cycled or i add it to a tank that has been cycled but has no fish before adding it to a tank with fish if that makes any sence.

cecilbdemented said:
Catfish - would you reccomend - for a 100l with a handful of plants - a leterite gravel mix (or something else similar) or just fine gravel and add aquarium fertilizer?
Ive never used laterite so it wouldnt be fair for me to comment,this would be a question better asked in the plant forum,however i use just a fine gravel substrate and dose weekly with a weekly fertiliser plus root tabs which are added monthly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back