Adding New Fish with Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CamG369

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a 105L tank stocked with 1x Guppy 1x Molly and 3x Tetra (not enough I know I plan on getting more) i also have 6x Molly Fry thanks to the Molly giving birth two days after i got it

The fry are big enough now and swim around the tank without being hassled (about 2/3 the size of a tetra) and seem to be doing well

Anyway, to the point, I know guppies and tetras,Molly's too like to be with their own species so I was wondering what affect adding more would have on the fry as I dont want an ammonia spike killing them all off. As a result I'm hesitant to add any now.

Any advice?

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? How long has the tank been running? If it is not fully cycled it may be detrimental to add more fish but if it is cycled you shouldn't get an ammonia spike.
What are your current test results?
Tetras do need a school of 6 or more, what species are they?
You may want to think about removing all the female mollies so that you don't end up with too many.

Do you have any live plants in your tank? Plants like anacharis, water sprite, hornwort and moneywort can help deal with any ammonia because they absorb it as food.

Fry are very hardy, I have kept them in a tank with 8.0 ppm amonia!
don’t worry about an ammonia spike for the fry, but teh adults are a lot less hardy.

Ammonia is toxic to all fish regardless of age.

You want 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite at all times.

Any ammonia or nitrite can cause permanent damage to fish, especially if they are fry.

Fry are very hardy, I have kept them in a tank with 8.0 ppm amonia!
don’t worry about an ammonia spike for the fry, but teh adults are a lot less hardy.
Usually fry will be the least hardy and the most susceptible to damage and disease. I'm glad yours survived but usually this will be detrimental to the babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back