adding large quantity of tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If 80% still shows nitrite off the top of the scale, you need to do another very large water change asap.

Try diluting some tank water with tap water then testing that for nitrite. It won't be very accurate but at least it will give you a rough idea.
Start with 50:50 and if that's still off the chart, try 4 parts tap to 1 part tank and multiply the result by 5; if necessary do 9 parts tap and 1 part tank and multiply the result by 10.

It is possible to use salt to prevent nitrite harming the fish in addition to water changes. The calculation is in this thread. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il.433778/

but your test kit was just wonky?
It's not really wonky, it's just that when nitrite is very high, testers can't cope. It shows purple when the drops are first added but during the 5 minutes wait it goes a steel blue. The zero colour is sky blue as soon as the drops are added and stays that colour during the 5 minutes wait. The give away is the purple as soon as the drops are added.

Wow, I had no idea! I'm glad I'm on this forum because I keep learning bits of info to keep behind my ear....

Well I did 4 water changes in all today, and the nitrites are down to .25. I was so relieved to get a test that wasn’t neon purple finally. I’m sure I’m not out of the woods yet, but I put some stress coat and prime after the last water change so hopefully the everything is going to get better from here on out. Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I hope my botched cycle will be helpful to someone else in the future.

Well I did 4 water changes in all today, and the nitrites are down to .25. I was so relieved to get a test that wasn’t neon purple finally. I’m sure I’m not out of the woods yet, but I put some stress coat and prime after the last water change so hopefully the everything is going to get better from here on out. Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I hope my botched cycle will be helpful to someone else in the future.
That's good new, I'm sure this thread will be shown to somebody who is having cycle issues :)

oh good. Yeah the prime should really help in case the nitrites keep going up, but hopefully at this point you will also have the beginnings of some good bacteria and you wont see further spikes. The plants will also help a lot too! You know, it's crazy to think that with how healthy your tank looks visually, that you had such high nitrites. It really drives home the point that you can't tell the health of your water just by looking at it, which is so counterintuitive because humans are such visual beings....

I added two small (quarter sized) angelfish on Thursday. I was expecting the tetras to avoid the angelfish, but the tetras are going after them. Do the angelfish need more time to establish themselves, or do I need bigger fish?
Ridley

I added two small (quarter sized) angelfish on Thursday. I was expecting the tetras to avoid the angelfish, but the tetras are going after them. Do the angelfish need more time to establish themselves, or do I need bigger fish?
Ridley
Just more time to establish. Remind me what tetras you have again?? Avoid serpae, buenos aires and sometimes bleeding hearts.

Thanks. They are runny nose.
The angels should be fine with them. As long as the angels are eating and swimming around normally, then they’ll be fine. Just watch the angels as they grow though as they are known to predate on smaller fish 3-4cm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back