adding iron for my plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Silly me

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Reading on some writeup on Plant growth, I notice lots of trubble is put in to adding iron to the water.

I was thinking since all these dont come cheap, I was wondering if I am adding normal Fe ( iron ) to the water???
Why cant I place a small piece of a rusted can on iron wool to the filter or below a plant?

Surely it will disolve into Fe02 but if plant can use C from CO2, whats wrong with getting Fe from FeO2 :/

I am more that willing to try but if some can give me a reason why I shouldnt please do, ( and why )

From a useful page on www.thekirb.com:

The problem with the iron-fertilizing is somewhat
tricky: the plants can only incorporate it while it is doubly oxidized,
that means having a chemical formula Fe++, After a while all these iron
ions will become further oxidized into Fe+++ well known to everybody since it
is the final product if steel corrodes. Fe+++ , however, is of no use for your plants. Therefore you cannot help your plants by immersing a corroded piece
of sheet-metal.

It also mentions that iron oxides in the form of rust coprecipitate phosphate and other metals.

The other issue is that using a lump of iron (not a can or wire wool as these will not be 100% Fe) will not allow you to control the concentration of iron in the tank. You need to aim for about 1 to 2 ppm of FE (apparently) otherwise you will be encouraging algae.

HTH, Eddie

So adding iron is a good thing

Does that mean that DuplaPlant 24 is better? Not really; it's
iron so expensive you might as well be purchasing gold. But at
the rate of a drop a week in a 55gal tank, it makes sense to
use it in conjunction with a cheaper source of iron. Like
a rusty nail, maybe...

Even a rusty nail?

Many Companies recommend lesser amounts due to softer waters/new folks adding too much etc and other issues that error on the cautious. I would
also, but might mention that these levels can be raised in a well run higher
light tank etc. Claus mentioned that mosty of the tanks he saw in SF were
nutrient deficient even though many had the 5ppm range. We started adding
more and guess what? Better richer greener growth

But

The other issue is that using a lump of iron (not a can or wire wool as these will not be 100% Fe) will not allow you to control the concentration of iron in the tank. You need to aim for about 1 to 2 ppm of FE (apparently) otherwise you will be encouraging algae.

And then

I don't have excess algae. Other's on the list have confirmed some this
also. If you have a good balance between your PH/KH/light and algae is under
control you can do this 1ppm Fe. You can also do 2-7ppm with no problems
if your a little more cautious. Your starving the plants when you try to
limit things too much.

The better, and therefore more expensive Iron fertilisers supply iron as a chelated suspension rather then a simple inorganic material. Chelation is normally done with Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, which bonds with metal ions preventing further oxidation. Many trace nutrient metals can be found as chelations.

The thing is, Iron rich fertilisers cost about the same as a payment on my car.

I cant see the reason for adding such an expensive element that I have rusting away everywhere outside in the rain??

I have good results with Waterlife's Tropiflora, it costs about £10 for 120 ml which treats about 5000 UK gallons. It contains chelated iron which is slowly released over a 10 - 14 day period.

PMDD (self made liquid fertiliser) components doesn't cost much, they are practically free. You can find more information from thekrib.

The components can be found from stores that sell fertilisers and such for farmers. They are usually sold in large quantities, so it's best to buy them with few friends and even then you will propably have a life long supply of PMDD.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back