The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Missklw

Reaction score
Hey!

So Iā€™ve recently done a fish in cycle and all has gone well itā€™s been up and running for about 6 weeks now and my parameters have been maintaining nicely! I currently have 2 female betta in a 48lt square planted tank. Since everything has been steady Iā€™m looking at possibly adding a couple more fish/shrimp (starting to get a bit of algae)

My two females have gotten on pretty well. They hardly chase each other (they do sometimes but itā€™s very rare) and never seem to be too bothered about being in close proximity (I got them from same tank at store and added them at same time in the beginning)

Iā€™m just hoping someone can recommend how many fish and what kind (ideally colourful neon sorts that are peaceful but wonā€™t get bullied if possible /what shrimp) would be best. I donā€™t want to shock my cycle by overcrowding it once Iā€™ve just got it established!

I would recommend adding more female bettas, but if they seeem ok then you could prob leave it. You could put some zebra danios in a small school, 4-5 But then the low end stock is Basically Over. The higher end stock is you could add Some Shrimp, Which probably wouldnā€™t hurt it too much.

BUT hereā€™s the thing I would only add 2-3 fish in at a time, otherwise you could have a chance at upsetting the cycle . I know zebra arenā€™t as color but Iā€™ve had most luck with them and female betta fish togther.

I would also add more female bettas as they should really be kept as a group of at least 4. But new ones can't just be added to the tank as the original two will have worked out which one is boss and will resent newcomers. The usual way of increasing numbers is to remove the two you have now, rearrange the decor, then add the current two and the new ones at the same time. But it doesn't always work.

Can you give us the dimensions of the tank, please? Tanks vary from tall and narrow to long and shallow. Some fish need a longer swimming length than others.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back