That is that for my tabk now so current stocking is
3 electric blue acara
4 geophagus
8 Colombian Redfin tetra
10 bronze corydora
Sailfin pleco
Plus the new guys
, please say Iv done ok lol any thoughts
My dad had blue acaras in his tank - they were pretty big (mind you - I was pretty small and these things are all relative :lol: ), but I d remember that they were very tame and would take food from your hands. I still remember the feel of rubbery fish lips against my fingers.

Last edited:
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------
My only concern is the number of cichlids you have on the bottom. You have the keyholes, blue acaras and Geophagus. These fish will all need their own space and if the tank isn't big enough, there could be fights.

Adding new cichlids to a tank that already has cichlids with their established territories could be a problem too. Cichlids are territorial and adding new fish into established territories can end badly. Normally if you want to add new cichlids to a tank that already contains cichlids, you rearrange the tank to break up the old territories and then add the new fish straight after that. This means the new fish have more chance of getting a place to live.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------
My only concern is the number of cichlids you have on the bottom. You have the keyholes, blue acaras and Geophagus. These fish will all need their own space and if the tank isn't big enough, there could be fights.

Adding new cichlids to a tank that already has cichlids with their established territories could be a problem too. Cichlids are territorial and adding new fish into established territories can end badly. Normally if you want to add new cichlids to a tank that already contains cichlids, you rearrange the tank to break up the old territories and then add the new fish straight after that. This means the new fish have more chance of getting a place to live.
The tank is 5ft by 20inch by 24invh I think off the top of my head I know when I calculated it , it was 505l my Gh is around 120ppm my ph is 6.5 , so far the tank is very peaceful my electric blue acara fight amongst there self same as the geophagus , I have lots of hiding spaces that many I don’t even see my corys , but I know what yiur saying cichlids are cichlids I’m just hoping they all stay mild mannered

I think it could be a bit crowded when the Geos and Severums are fully grown. I think we've said before about adding a single Severum but adding 2 Greens is quite a lot, grab two dinner plates and hold them upto the tank and you'll get an idea of what it will look like in 2-3 years time.

I think in terms of compatibility you are probably going to be ok, unless the Severums or the Keyholes pair up and you then have multiple breeding pairs in the tank. I had a pair of keyholes ages ago (before I joined this forum) and they were generally quite chilled but the male could cause me some problems.

But I do think with 11 chunky cichlids and a pleco you are going to have a bit of a poop and nitrate issue in there. Luckily with the Sevs and Geos being the biggest fish they are reasonably slow growing so its not an imminent issue but one to potentially be aware of.

I think it could be a bit crowded when the Geos and Severums are fully grown. I think we've said before about adding a single Severum but adding 2 Greens is quite a lot, grab two dinner plates and hold them upto the tank and you'll get an idea of what it will look like in 2-3 years time.

I think in terms of compatibility you are probably going to be ok, unless the Severums or the Keyholes pair up and you then have multiple breeding pairs in the tank. I had a pair of keyholes ages ago (before I joined this forum) and they were generally quite chilled but the male could cause me some problems.

But I do think with 11 chunky cichlids and a pleco you are going to have a bit of a poop and nitrate issue in there. Luckily with the Sevs and Geos being the biggest fish they are reasonably slow growing so its not an imminent issue but one to potentially be aware of.
Main reason I bought in pairs were because they were so small and I find they feel more secure being introduced that way , I do agree that in a year or so il be over crowded possibly and plan to rehome the single female eba and one of the severum as I don’t want them breeding but I don’t want them fighting , but I felt they might have real stress issues being solitary as I have bigger Redfin tetra lol

Most reactions

trending

Back