Add sponge to HOB filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Glenn407

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Marineland canister still going strong plus 35 years I think and also a HOB filter with two Bio Wheels. I noticed that under the bio wheels there are large empty spaces after the cartridge filters. Would I gain any additional biological filtration by adding some sort of sponge filters in that empty spot that is essentially doing nothing?

I stopped using the filter cartridges. Instead I stripped the filter material off the cartridge frame and using twist ties, I secured black filter sponge and filter floss cut to size to the cartridge frame. I change out the floss and squeeze out the sponge in tank water every 3rd of 4th week. Saves $$ compared to buying the cartridges. You can buy a large roll of floss very cheaply on Amazon.

And with all the money you save, you can become a supporting member of TFF. ;)

Last edited:
I stopped using the filter cartridges. Instead I stripped the filter material off the cartridge frame and using twist ties, I secured black filter sponge and filter floss cut to size to the cartridge frame. I change out the floss and squeeze out the sponge in tank water every 3rd of 4th week. Saves $$ compared to buying the cartridges. You can buy a large roll of floss very cheaply on Amazon.

And with all the money you save, you can become a supporting member of TFF. ;)
Whether it's TOTM, FOTM, POTM, or supporting member you will never fail to make sure people know about it :)

Whether it's TOTM, FOTM, POTM, or supporting member you will never fail to make sure people know about it :)
Oh yeah...that reminds me...be sure to vote in the Tank of the Month contest! :banana: Click link below to visit the poll:

Oh yeah...that reminds me...be sure to vote in the Tank of the Month contest! :banana: Click link below to visit the poll:
Just did, back to my question...

If the tank is well established, the majority of your BB will be colonized elsewhere in the tank (substrate), so adding extra media to your filter(s) would be of negligible benefit for biofiltration, but may help with mechanical filtration

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back